Aspire 5733 turns off and when rebooted "Windows did not shut down properly etc

bruce9432

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016
It just turns off as if you took the battery out and then removed the power cord. When turned back on it boots to the screen giving options on ways to boot (Safe Mode etc)

Note: If this problem started after an update, please make sure the laptop is not connected to the internet in any way before you use the following instructions.

Try the following...

1. Power off the laptop.
2. Power on the laptop.
3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
4. Repeat this process a few times until you see the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen.
5. Now you want to let the laptop boot to the "Automatic Repair" screen.
6. Click "Advanced Options" and then select "Troubleshoot".
7. Here you want to select "Refresh your PC", if you do not wish to erase data, or "Reset your PC" to erase all data and restore your system.
8. From here just follow the screen instructions until the recovery is completed.

NOTE: You will need to get into the "Advanced Options" in order to get the "Refresh Option". This choice will keep your data, but any programs installed will be lost.

Do not do a "Reset" as that will wipe all data you have on the laptop.

bruce9432

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016

bruce9432

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016
The computer started acting up a couple of months ago, (had to be restarted etc.) but then it just went kaput and none of the recovery options would work (just kept a circular pattern of try recovery, reboot, back to recovery screen). Sent for recovery disks and it loaded all but the last 1% on the language disk. Retried, and this time I had to do a total erase and it finally came back to Windows 7, (had updated to 10). Now it cruises along and pow, just shuts off, I mean like instantly, as if something heats up inside and breaks a circuit (just guessing). To tell the truth, I am half tempted to go Apple, (Consumer Reports least amount of complaints)

I have used Apple before. While it has a few perks, still prefer Windows. :)

It is possible it is actually overheating. Try installing software to monitor that. I myself like "Speedfan" but there are quite a few more out there, all free. Install and have it run while you are using the computer, make sure it is set to log, and see what the temps are just before it turns off, etc. If it does turn out it is overheating, that can be fixed pretty easily. Where as if it continued, it could cause lots of damage.

bruce9432

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016

bruce9432

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016
Really appreciate the responses as I am no better off than a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat, As to the overheating cause, it may be but it was purchased in 2011 and no problems for 5 years (maybe dust build up?). It now works and stays on if you sit there and manipulate it occasionally. As for repairs, Black Friday is coming and I think if there is anything to be done I'd rather put any money towards a new laptop (we just really use it as an internet portal) Again, Thanks to you people for your time.