Aspire 5735 power problem.

trydowave

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
Hi. Recetly got given an Aspire 5735. Its in prety bad shape. Not powering on, no hdd.

I recently plugded it into an external monitor and loaded up a live OS from cd. It worked.

But the power is flaey. Also the screen has distortions (like an old crt tv) occasionaly.

When i switch back to the laptops main screen it powers off instantly?

Would anyone know what could be happening? It definately looks power related to me. Like its not getting enough.

Cheers
Tony

Solution
Try resetting it and see if any joy then. (fingers crossed)

I might suggest looking to replace the CMOS battery if one can be found cheap enough since sometimes that battery failing can cause weird issues but I'm thinking it's a little more drastic than that, like reflow drastic (but I'm not liking that idea).
What's the full model of the Aspire 5735 (should be four additional numbers), I'm suspecting offhand that the laptop is losing it's solder bonding at points (likely more than one) and although I am very much against the idea of reflowing a motherboard (reballing is very much preferred IMO) this is one case I might suggest it. BUT, before I do recommend doing that, what sub-model are you working with?

trydowave

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

The laptops display doesn't work at all. The distortions are on the lcd. To be honest I cant even get it to start at all now.

Try resetting it and see if any joy then. (fingers crossed)

I might suggest looking to replace the CMOS battery if one can be found cheap enough since sometimes that battery failing can cause weird issues but I'm thinking it's a little more drastic than that, like reflow drastic (but I'm not liking that idea).

Solution