Assistance with my pre-installed Windows

deviusone11

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Bought a toshiba satellite C75D-B7215 that came with no discs whatsoever, and my hard drive crashed. I bought a new hard drive and was told that since my Windows was pre-installed (in my bios or motherboard or something) that all I would need to do was insert new hdd and it would automatically put my Windows back on it. That didn't work, still getting "no bootable device" message yet my hdd is listed now in BIOS. (Wasn't before, how I knew last hdd crashed) Anyone know what I would need to do to get this working? Step by steps are always helpful as I'm not exactly computer smart.. Thanks in advance.

USAFRet

Illustrious
1. You can't download the relevant OS from tha above linked site. That does not work with an OEM license.

2. What should have happened, is that when the PC was new, you created a recovery set of DVD's from whatever function has for doing that.
This would have allowed you to put that initial factory load on a whole new drive.
But since that did not happen...moving on...

3. You have 2 options:
Buy a recovery set from Toshiba, and bring it back to out of the box condition
or
Buy your own OS and install that.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Whoever told you "since my Windows was pre-installed (in my bios or motherboard or something) that all I would need to do was insert new hdd and it would automatically put my Windows back on it"

...was completely wrong.
Do not listen to that person again.

deviusone11

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
It was Windows 8, and I have the old hard drive still but I assume I can't still get the recovery thing.. Pretty sure it's dead. How much does the recovery set from toshiba cost you think? Will it be a pain like sending in laptop, or would it be easier to just buy new Windows?

USAFRet

Illustrious

The recovery thing from Toshiba would probably be cheaper than a full copy of Windows. But that's because it comes with all that original bloatware.

clutchc

Distinguished
UPDATE: I found this German mirror site that still has the downloadable .ISO files for Win7. I just downloaded the Win7x64 .ISO file and ran both a virus scan and a Malwarebytes scan on the file. Appears to be clean. But it sounds like the site is about to be changed to a torrent soon.
http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/