ASUS EEE 1201N or ASUS UL30VT-A1 or Something else?

lostpike

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
1_What is your budget? $650-$700 though prefer to stay under $500

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 12-14, 15 if its a steal.

3_What screen resolution do you want? not sure

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable. I want to be able to carry this around everywhere I go. Thinking more carry in hand portable then Backpack portable.

Concerns-At what weight does a laptop come too heavy to carry around in your hands everywhere? ALSO believe id give up portability for a slick deal!

5_How much battery life do you need? 3hrs

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Yes but not most important. Would love to be able to play dragon age or Fallout but those are dreams. More important is able to play movies.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) Watch Movies. Studying Studying studying. Oh and surfing the net and rarely a game or two.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? 160gb. I have a portable harddrive if necessary.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Im open to any as long as they dont scam me.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? 2yrs

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? none are necessary

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. From reading reviews a fan of Asus and Acer.

13_What country do you live in? USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
So I am about to start my bar studies and need a computer to haul with me everywhere and to study with. After my studies are over I would like to be able to use it to play movies off of or even hook HDMI and run movies onto my television or friends. Games of course are secondary but do enjoy them now and again.

What I have found:

ASUS EEE 1201N- Found that I can get this for around $450 but not sure if it is worth it since if you bump up $200 you can get...
Intel Atom Dual Core N330 1.60GHz Processor
1MB L2 Cache, 553MHz Front Bus Speed
2GB DDR2 SO-DIMM RAM
250GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive + 500GB ASUS WebStorage (complimentary for one-year)
12.1" LED Backlit WXGA Display (1366 x 768)
NVIDIA ION Graphics
0.3 Megapixel Webcam
Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n Wireless
10/100Mbps Ethernet LAN
Hi-Definition Audio Speaker & Stereo Speakers
Card Reader MMC, SD, SDHC
Connections: 3 x USB 2.0, VGA, HDMI, Headphone out, Microphone in, RJ-45 (LAN)
Approximate Unit Dimensions: 11.7" (W) x 8.2" (D) x 1.1" ~ 1.3" (H)
Approximate Unit Weight: 3.2 Pounds

ASUS UL30VT-A1 13.3 for around $680

Intel Core 2 Duo CULV SU7300 1.3GHz Processor
4GB DDR3 1066MHz RAM (8GB max.)
500GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
13.3" HD 16:9 (1366x768) LED Backlight Display
Integrated 0.3MP Webcam
nVIDIA G210M 512MB DDR3 or Embedded Intel GMA 4500MHD Video (Switchable Graphics Controller, Dual-View capable Supports two different applications open at one time - one on the External Monitor, and one on the Laptop Screen)
802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Built-in Azalia compliant Audio chip, with 3D effect & full duplex (3D Stereo Enhanced Sound System)
2 Built-in Altec Lansing Speakers
4-in-1 Card Reader SD, MMC, MS, MS-PRO
Ports: 3 x USB 2.0, RJ-45 (LAN), Headphone-out (with S/PDIF), Microphone-in, VGA, HDMI
Dimensions (WxDxH): 12.68 x 9.17 x 0.59-0.97 inches
Weight: 3.7 pounds

OR
well I dont know!!! Please help! Purchasing this Week!