Asus eee PC 1015 pe (seashell) keyboard not right

Status
Not open for further replies.

syoo

Estimable
Feb 24, 2015
Hello everyone.

I was given an Asus eee PC 1015 pe (seashell series) to format (It was running Ubuntu, and the owner wanted to get rid of it and use Windows 7, so I made a fresh install with Windows 7 Starter Edition)

Everything worked fine and all drivers were installed successfully, but the problem is that in the keyboard, some keys do a different thinig from what they are supposed to.

I.E:
-Shift, control, alt, caps lock, num lock, and all the command keys are not working
-When holding shift and typing 'h', the output is not 'H', and if I hold both shift keys on both sides and hit 'h', the output will be 'h8'
-Function keys are not working either (f1, f2...)
-Mousepad is working fine

Has anybody encountered this same issue? Or similar? How did you fix it?

Any help is appreciated :D

Solution
I can think of a couple of things that could be causing the keyboard to act up.
1). The keyboard is knackered.
2). The numlock is enabled (this remaps some ofo the keyboard's keys to number pad keys as the machine is so small is doesn't have a number pad).
3). The function keys primary function has been toggled in bios (my HP Pavilion had the function keys defaulted to actions instead of "f" number)

Something you can try is plugging in a usb keyboard and see if this behaves properly. If the numlock is enabled then the number pad will work on the external keyboard and will at least explain some of the key remapping on your seashell's keyboard.

pauls3743

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
I can think of a couple of things that could be causing the keyboard to act up.
1). The keyboard is knackered.
2). The numlock is enabled (this remaps some ofo the keyboard's keys to number pad keys as the machine is so small is doesn't have a number pad).
3). The function keys primary function has been toggled in bios (my HP Pavilion had the function keys defaulted to actions instead of "f" number)

Something you can try is plugging in a usb keyboard and see if this behaves properly. If the numlock is enabled then the number pad will work on the external keyboard and will at least explain some of the key remapping on your seashell's keyboard.

Solution

syoo

Estimable
Feb 24, 2015
Hi pauls3743

It's definitely not the numlock, I checked this in particular (forgot to describe in the first post)
Also I don't think that the keyboard is broken... I actually did open the laptop and disconnected the keyboard, but I am aware that this kind of cable is difficult to handle so I put in extra care... Maybe I did something wrong but not probable...

Just to try I logged into Safe mode to see if the issue persisted, and so it did

Will try another keyboard and update this post, thank you for your ideas tho :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS