Asus EeePad Transformer Arriving April 26 @ $399

Status
Not open for further replies.

matobinder

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
This comes with Andriod right? I think this could be awesome. Though I think I would want to demo it out before buying. Thinking of just my normal Andriod usage on my Evo, I'm not sure what the extra screen space would be as useful for. I guess reading. I still love the little Asus netbooks, my portable "smart terminal" I used to use my old Palm pilot to plug into serial ports and console into them.

G

This thing is going to FREAKING awesome, i just wish there were 3G/4G versions...

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
It's a $200 netbook (I mean look at the specs, plus no Windows license drops the price further), selling for $400. Oh and to get the keyboard is another $150? Nice.

sdedalus83

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
If it were $450 with the keyboard dock, I'd be tempted.

If it were $450 with the keyboard dock and had a fully functional optional linux desktop, ala the Archos 5, I'd be buying.

At $400 with neither, I'll pass.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
$399 Tablet + $150 keyboard dock if bought separately.
Please add bundle option! Let say $450-500.

I am postponing to upgrade my PC and wanna get this one.
I know my Q6600 system is a bit old but this tempts me more :D

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
While 400 for the pad seems fine, 150 for the keyboard/dock does not, in my opinion. And since it's one of the strong points of this device... meh... I still will suggest it, though, to friends looking for tablets but not happy with the restrictions.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Can't u simply connect a bluetooth keyboard to most/all tablets?

[citation][nom]Raidur[/nom]I can't believe tablets sell.[/citation]

You should try using one once.
They offer a great browsing & reading experience, are extremely portable (half the weight of most 10" netbooks, much thinner and enough battery life to last you 2 days), instant on and u can use a tablet comfortably while holding it in your hands. (try doing that with a laptop. U basically need to sit in front of a table if you want to comfortably use a laptop)

The only real downside are the small 10" screens. Laptop sales are going to crash by the time we make 12"-13" tablets light enough to be handheld devices.

[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]..or you can spend $400 on an HP DM1 with a real OS and be able to run real programs on it. Just another glorified color ereader.[/citation]

A "real" OS with "real" programs on a 10" touchscreen is impossible to control with your fingers unless u are an anorexic 11year old.

loutech4free

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
i'd love to have one, it sounds so sweet, and i have the eeepc and very satisfied of this little sturdy ah heck;)
... lets just wait a bit for the price to fall.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
This is my favorite one so far. The only problem is I do not trust Apple or Google who have and continue to track and record your every move with their mobile OS's.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
amazing how people cry about a 400$ tablet? look at its competition, with the dock/extra keyboard its still cheaper than the alternatives out there right now... if your that worried about $50 above what you would like to pay.. seriously get a better job, i would "like" to pay 200$ for it but it doesnt mean its going to happen, i'm still using my iPad until a couple more android tabs come out to choose from.

ravnoscc

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
The "dock" actually contains an extra battery that extends the total life past 15 hours (64%) gain than w/o the dock. It also has a touch pad and a physical keyboard, and acts as a screen protector when the tab is closed. I agree $150 is high, but it's not far off from the total cost/value of that much "extra" stuff. Good batteries alone cost $60-70+. What I see here is the tablet sector moving towards a more practical usage model for people that not only want to use it for leisure but also be productive. It might not be perfect, but it's a damn sweet direction.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
$399 is not so good. With similar hardware to the Xoom it means the Transformer will be much slower than the iPad 2.

The keyboard is nothing revolutionary. There are lots of good aftermarket keyboards out there at various price ranges for an iPad. Why be forced to use a proprietary one from Asus?

And it's just been announced that the US version will lack a GPS. Seriously? I use GPS all the time. I've never had the need to use HDMI or an SD card.

wickedsnow

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
I have been wanting this tablet for a few months now. And after looking at reviews and hand-on videos for weeks now, I'm having a hard time understand that the actual specs are. Examples...

1. 64% more batterylife? An offical statment by asus says that they are working on a firmware fix for this and it should be shipping on all final eeepads. Which should make it a perfect double-life. So, why is nobody taking that into account?

2. GPS support. Damn near every website has different information. Some say yes, some say no, some say only the UK version. Yet on this article is states GPS support. Does anybody have a link to a written-in-stone spec guide? I can't find any. Asus own website states nothing about US version vs UK version.

G

Cheapest Android 3.0 tablet so far, with nice spec. Cheaper than Ipad2. While some would say Ipad2 is a lot more better app wise, I think it is merely a matter of preference. I have own Ipad and I have own Android devices, I even own a Windows 7 tablet - Acer Iconia right now. There is not a single tablet which is excel at everything that the others do not.

Ipad -> sleek UI, Apple does a good job in their own apps they offer such as iBook etc. However, not enough video format support, cannot playback 1080p video smoothly.

Android -> Handle every video format fine, and does 1080p playback smoothly. Lots of choices, lots of different sizes and prices. Plenty of free apps which in many ways rivals what Apple store can offer. However, UI feels slightly sluggish especially on 3.0.

Windows 7 -> Lots of existing and familiar applications that can run on it. USB ports do everything you expect it to do. However, bad battery life compare to Ipad and Android. Navigating the UI is a trial and error affair as it is really designed for a mouse. Good thing is it is easy to use it together with a wireless/bluetooth optical mouse. Microsoft should learn how to create a more un-obstructive onscreen keyboard interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.