Asus G2S running on Windows XP

SkullFox

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
Heya!

I bought an Asus G2s and It comes pre-installed with Vista32bit.
All was running OK, until i started working, and realising that some programs don't work with Vista.
Now I want to change to XP, but I have a big problem... The hdd is sata and the notebook has no Floppy.
How can I install the XP without the floppy?? A friend of mine told me that it is possible to modify the XP setup and give it the drivers it needs for the instalation. Is it true??

How can I resolve this?

Can't you use a CD? I've never seen XP on a floppy before, but might be me. If you have the CD, go into your BIOS and change the boot order from HDD to your CD drive, insert the disk and restart and follow the directions.

You can get XP Home disks on newegg.com for 90 bucks and Pro for 140. The problems with Vista are why I bought my laptop with XP Pro instead of Vista Home Premium.

SkullFox

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
Have you never installed windows on a sata Hdd??
You need to give Drivers to the Setup(through F6) so he can detect sata hard drives.
Problem is... My laptop doesn't have a fdd...

g-paw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006

Not sure of that particular mobo but at least for the ASUS AM2 boards you don't need to install special drivers for the SATA drive to be recognized, in fact my boards didn't come with a floppy even for RAID. Suggest you borrow a copy of XP and see if it recognizes your hdd, if not you can always reinstall Vista. I suppose you could also try to dual boot.

SkullFox

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
I already tried and it doesn't show my Hdd... This motherboard is very different from yours because this one is on a Notebook and it comes pre-installed with Vista, which I'm trying to get rid off... I found a program (nlite) that can modify Xp's Setup cd, and Integrate drivers on it... I will try it tomorrow.

rvdeijk

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2007
Hi,

I allready heared from another forum that you have to insert your sata drivers into the xp cd with Nlite.
But my question is I have the G2S also and I want XP too.
But where can you find the drivers for winXP for the Asus G2S I can't find anything.

greetz

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I am assuming that you have floppy set up boot CD's, you can download the same iso image and burn it to a bootable CD.

You probably are going to have to change the BIOS to IDE instead of what VISTA wants to see on that model (like AHCI or something, I don't exactly remember w/o it right in front of me).

SkullFox

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
@rvdeijk: Try Driverguide.com

@killernotebooks: I'm not sure this Notebook accepts a change to IDE, I can't find it anywhere.

I used nlite to imbue the drivers and it worked... Problem is the drivers...

It is very stupid of ASUS to Lock the computer to an OS. Stupider is Locking it to VISTA, a very new OS and an OS that gives so much problems with compatibility, it is worst than the newest versions of Win XP...