Asus G50v Charging issue / questions about cpu upgrade

BklynRX7

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
Hello everyone. I just picked up an older Asus G50v for cheap. I am intending to give it to my young daughter to play the Sims and Minecraft. First of all the seller states that it works perfect when fully charged, plugged in with no battery, or running on battery. However if it is plugged in with the battery charging it keeps switching between charging/not-charging and the screen dims/brightens. Does this sound like a battery issue, or a problem with the charging port and/or motherboard?

Additionally, I would like to upgrade the processor since its older and they are cheap now. The processor on the model is removable but I am pretty confused about what CPU will fit. It currently had a 2ghz Core 2 Duo. I have found 3 different possible sockets mentioned, and I saw a forum post mentioning the T9600 being a good upgrade. I found this on amazon, but I cant be sure it will fit since I don't know about the socket.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009KXE2YS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A30T5A3XNEN021

I would like to know the socket this laptop uses, and if possible the best CPU I could buy for it. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Oh, yes. The power plan for brightness was different. .. But also, the lid backlight actually gets a bit less power when it's on battery power versus AC power so it dims a little bit, noticeably, even if the power settings are set for full brightness on both battery and AC power.

So try to load up the processors and see if it starts tripping all the time without a battery. Some data corruption COULD occur .. what backups are for. Then u know it's the AC adapter.

I've gone through many but not any that have your problem yet.

ADP-120ZB is the model number of the genuine AC adapters. .. could say Delta , Asus , or Gateway on the label, it's all the same. Wouldn't worry too much about a used one. Found two that are under $13 used on a...

Petrossa

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
That laptop will be using the PGA478 socket.
The only other option is the BGA478, but these are soldered onto the board.
That CPU should fit.

After all this time, I'd say that the battery would need replacing. Those are really only good for 3-4 years tops.

BklynRX7

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014

Thanks for the info. I saw those 2 sockets mentions as well as P-socket but I assume thats short for PGA478. Ill try findign a replacement battery before I do anything else.

hst101rox

Estimable
Aug 28, 2014

Get an X9100 CPU. That is the fastest CPU for that laptop. Super cheap on a popular auction site. They are overclockable. 3.45GHZ at 1.3 volts prime95 stable via overclocking utility Throttlestop. Stock clock is 3.06GHZ.
So 2.8GHZ of the T9600 vs 3.45GHZ for the X9100 with a bit of software config. 10% performance boost or so.
It can do 3.6GHZ on one core without throttling due to going over 100C. 3.45GHZ at 1.300 Volts is set it and forget it no worries.
I recommend Arctic Cooling MX2 or MX4 thermal compound. As it performs decently and best of all, very long longevity, won't ever have to touch it again.

While you have the laptop bottom cover off, it is very very easy to replace the fan while you have that heatsink flipped upside down while replacing the CPU. Upgrade to the Forceon fan. It currently probably has a Sunon or Delta fan in it. The Forcecon DFS541305MH0T F8U5 fan. It has 17 fins on it, moves more air than the stock fan. It is the stock fan for the G51VX and G51J laptops so plug and plays perfectly.

Why your screen dims on and off. When the laptop is on battery power, the voltage to the CCFL backlight in the screen goes down a bit. Goes back up when plugged into the wall.

So it seems like maybe the AC adapter is calling it quits when it is trying to charge the battery, thus the laptop begins to be powered by the battery, back and forth as the AC adapter resets and then trips again ..
Hopefully it is just the battery, or an AC adapter that can't handle any significant load.

Run 3dmark 06+ on it with the battery out to see if it's the AC adapter I suppose. Might want to load up the CPU as well at the same time. Wiggle the cord about the jack a bit to see if something is whack with the jack.
Give it a few minutes. Then probably not the adapter or the jack that it plugs into.
Then hopefully just the battery.
Genuine batteries are not available more, really. Managed to get a few of the last genuine 9 cell A33-M50 batteries, sittings in my fridge. Aftermarket though, lots of them. But be weary, I bought one and when it encountered a large load (like gaming), it would trip, so the laptop would immediately lose all power, even if the battery was at a full charge.

BklynRX7

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014

Thanks for the ideas. I was actually leaning towards the T9900 but ill look into the x9100 as well, they seem pretty evenly matched at first glance. I am definitely going to pick up that fan, this laptop runs very hot.

I replaced the battery with an aftermarket and it has the same issue. I got the screen to stop dimming by changing the power settings but it still shows that it is switch between ac and battery randomly. I have an aftermarket ac adapter as well, but the seller probably would have told me if this resolved the issue, as he bought it. The aftermarket I bought may be shoddy. It did just randomly shut off once while she was using it, though its been plugged in constantly since so I have to try using it again.

hst101rox

Estimable
Aug 28, 2014
Oh, yes. The power plan for brightness was different. .. But also, the lid backlight actually gets a bit less power when it's on battery power versus AC power so it dims a little bit, noticeably, even if the power settings are set for full brightness on both battery and AC power.

So try to load up the processors and see if it starts tripping all the time without a battery. Some data corruption COULD occur .. what backups are for. Then u know it's the AC adapter.

I've gone through many but not any that have your problem yet.

ADP-120ZB is the model number of the genuine AC adapters. .. could say Delta , Asus , or Gateway on the label, it's all the same. Wouldn't worry too much about a used one. Found two that are under $13 used on a popular auction site.

Solution