Floppers95

Estimable
Mar 12, 2014
As the title says I have a Asus G73sw (Not mine, it's a friends. but he says he doesn't want it anymore so I hope I can get it for a low price)

It seems to be a power related problem. At first when I got it, it wouldn't power on, so I pulled the battery out and managed boot it properly. However it wasn't long before it wouldn't power on at all! I believe this could be a problem with either the power brick or the motherboard.

I guess one way to troubleshoot it is to plug in a charged battery (without brick pluged) and see if it starts. If it does, then I would be almost certain that it's the power brick.... or maybe the power input on on the board

I was thinking of just buying a "new" board (they are fairly priced on eBay) But before I do that want to hear what the wise men/women of TomsHardware have to say in my time of need.
I realize I haven't been very specific. But that's because I can't translate my thoughts and observations into words that are easy to understand! So ask about anything I will try to describe what is going on

Thank you in advance

V1ctor89

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
The adapter may not be giving sufficient power to sustain the laptop, not even to jump start it, let alone keeping it running properly. The battery should not be an issue here. Even if it's stone dead, the laptop should still be working fine. It could also be the input circuit on the MB, and this would be the most expensive to solve.

random1986

Estimable
Jul 27, 2014
Having a G73SW myself, I had this same problem a few months back. I found when I replaced the adapter and battery (now both cheap on ebay, I just bought generic ones), it works fine again. Only issue I have now is mine not playing games but I think that's unrelated.

Floppers95

Estimable
Mar 12, 2014

I have tried with a new adapter (but not with a new battery because the one I have now works fine)
But it didn't seem to work. However! I found out that if i press hard down on the plug that goes into the laptop, while in the laptop, it works. So the problem must be with the power socket.

Floppers95

Estimable
Mar 12, 2014

Well.... As my luck would have it. It's the input on the mobo. I've looked at some motherboards on ebay, they cost about 130$ which I find reasonable, even if they are used. But before I jump to that I am going to try and make a deal with some people at my school with soldering experience to see if they could solder a new input on the MB for less then 130$