Asus G75VW review on solidworks

zamorae

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
Hello,
I am planning to buy a new laptop for the sole purpose of designing CAD models in Solidworks and IronCAD. I have been reviewing for a time and I find the Asus G75VW as a tempting option, eben though this computer is considered a gaming laptop. Specifically the graphics card not being a Quadro, but a GeForce, I have the doubt if this computer will meet the specs for medium CAD level perfornmance (500-1000 assemblies,compex surfacing geometries, etc.)
Do you guys have any particular experience or recommendation regarding the usage of this lap or any other in that price range, that satisfies the requirements of CAD modelling_

thanks

shwetanshu

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Since the performance depends on Graphics Card.
"There would be a substantial benefit to using a workstation card for professional use.

For starters, all GeForce Fermi and Kepler cards have their double precision floating point capabilities capped at 1/8th the performance of single precision floating point computations when the architecture is capable of performing them at 1/2. That's a four fold increase just for going to Quadro/Tesla if you use double precision.

Second, Quadro/Tesla have built in error correction. This is handy when running a simulation/render that can take hours to produce results. Tesla and Quadro chips are binned from higher quality chips and are statistically less error prone than GeForce.

Third, there are hand optimized professional driver tweaks for each CAD application that the developers pay good money to have included in the mainline driver

Fourth, the workstation cards are often overflowing with additional video memory that isn't available on consumer models."

This answer is from forum member "pinhead".You can find out more here : http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/356939-33-autocad-gsketchup-help.

shwetanshu

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
You can go for Dell Precision M4700 Laptop. Although there is a hefty price difference. I couldn't find any current generation pro graphics card at 1300$ although the previous generations ones are available at that price point but I am not sure if current generation gaming graphics card would be better or previous generation pro (I think the pro ones but not quite sure). It would be a good option to ask your colleagues or in CAD forums where they will answer the question. in previous generation you can check out Dell M600.