Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
Hey , I have an Asus laptop.
The specs are :
I5-4200u
4GB of RAM
GeForce GT740
750GB 5400RPM .

The pc is 2 years old. since the day i bought it - it felt slower than any other laptopt I used ,
even compared to my old HP pavilion with the I5-2410M .
I do know that this cpu's clock speed is lower, but in all the benchmarks it performed better than my old one.
moreover this laptop does have a dedicated GPU , which I lacked on my previous one.

now to the problem :
the pc feels slow ,at every use.
even when I just open chrome it takes the pc over 5 seconds to just open the window.
I tried recovery several times and it didn't help.

after 2 years of suffer I finally had a chance to send it over to Asus lab , they said that the pc is fine , made a fresh install of Windows 8 [ instead of the 10 i've upgraded to ].

yet , i came back home, turned it on , installed chrome , and the story is the same :
it stuck even at the most basic tasks .
tried to open chrome and it took it over 10 seconds to complete the task, while i was waiting I tried to open the Task Manager , waited 10 seconds more for the pc to complete it.

I've seen that the built in McAfee was using about 95% of cpu load , so I uninstalled it .
the pcu loads went down and yet , it took the pc about 7 seconds to open a Chrome window , about 8 seconds to open a Task Manager window , and when I tried to make a search for Control Panel it took about 5 seconds .

I tried to run Hot CPU test , showed that the cpu is fine , without errors.
I tried Chrystal Disk test , showed that the HDD is in good condition.

I do understand why they returned the pc and said it was fine, it passes most of the test .

yet , my old , unformated for like 4 years HP pavilion is compliting every task from the above in less than a second , while the newer Asus keeps on stucking.
the Hp runs League of Legends with about 45 const fps [ just overheats ] while the asus cant maintain any constants fps count. jumps between 2 to 40 fps.

I tried to use it on maximum power and not battery saver , I did set the GPU to take over when I start League.

Can't find any reason for the pc to be so slow and laggy that even making it restart takes so much time [ not the restart time it self , I mean, even selecting the restart option takes a while if there's any program running at the background ].

Would love to hear your opinion beacuse right now at work im working on a very similar Asus laptop that came with I5-5200U , 4 GB ram and an integrated intel gpu and it works just fine. it opens every window like 5-6 times faster!

What should I look for? how can I fix it?
Thanks in advance :)

Solution
I'd swap out the hard drive for a solid state, and see how things run then. If you don't keep a lot of data on the sytem, a 120 GB SSD is about $40, a cheaper 480 GB one is $120, and should speed up the system by a lot. 5400 rpm drives are pretty bad to use, combined with a slower low voltage CPU and only 4 GB of RAM.

AppleGwava

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016
Im quite sure its hardware related.that 5400rpm drive will really hold u back .Additionally another source might be the wifi module.poor wifi might spend time to load.

Do me a favour by running a few tests

Speedtest.net
Pingtest.net
Benchmark the hdd

xceless

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016

well, about internet connection- used LAN . 100MPBS . checked the speed yesterday on got about 6MB/s.
inet is not an issue for sure since im having other pc's connected. and as I said the problem is not the net itself . it's the basic operations. I mean , chrome takes 8 seconds to just open a blank white window, and then like half a second to load the page itself.

the hdd passed chrystal drive test which showed that it works fine.
I cant run these tests atm , but I did check all of what you said. did update all drivers to the last one and all windows updates [ which took for ever ].

just to make it clear , the problem encountered at even the most basic operations. for example if I want to restart the pc?
after I click start it takes the pc like 4 seconds to just show the Start menu , and after clicking the power -> restart it takes like 10 more seconds for it to start shuting down.
Hardly doubt it's connected to Wi-fi , pings and inet in any way.

about the hdd , what program should I use since it seems you don't trust the Chrystal Disk's test results which said the hdd is in good condition ...

and just for the closure , the Asus im currently replying from at work has better cpu [ a few percent difference by benchmarks tbh , i5-5200u with 2.2 ghz instead of 4200u with 1.6 ghz ] and it's HDD is 5400 RPM aswell , still works about 10x times better and faster. both with clean windows installs.

AppleGwava

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016

its not about the reliability of the hard drive,i trust u fully on that,im more concerned about the speed,read and write speeds to be exact.They affect how fast you can access data

I'd swap out the hard drive for a solid state, and see how things run then. If you don't keep a lot of data on the sytem, a 120 GB SSD is about $40, a cheaper 480 GB one is $120, and should speed up the system by a lot. 5400 rpm drives are pretty bad to use, combined with a slower low voltage CPU and only 4 GB of RAM.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.