Asus laptop, display goes off randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

maheeinfy11

Estimable
Jan 10, 2016
Hi,
Laptop model: Asus Q501LA-BSI5T19

Recently it developed this problem, when i move the lid screen goes off. I have to use FN key to turn it back on. Sometimes, screen also goes offwhen i open Chrome, a folder, IE etc(even when lid is not moved)

I did a clean Win10 install and i dont know if this problem is due to that. Later, I did a clean install of Win8.1 and installed all the drivers from asus website; still the problem exists.

Here is a small video i made
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKqCnXR567s

Looking for help in resolving this. Thanks!

whitey86

Estimable
Jun 22, 2014
Hey

So looks like you've ruled out software by running a fresh install so gonna 1 of 2 things
Cable from mainboard to screen or the display switch.

To confitm which id set the lid close mode to 'do nothing 'by
Righ click on the battery icon in the bottom right coner near the clock> power options> choose what happens when i close lid (on the left column) > then select do nothing for both battery and on charge for now.

If it still dose it now then its a display cable. If not then the display switch which i notmally a mainboard issue.

If still under warranty then return.. if its under 6 year old you may be covered under salea of good act and stilll be entitled to a repair or replacement so ask the retsiler and if they refuse ask your local citizens advice beuro

Hope this helps

maheeinfy11

Estimable
Jan 10, 2016

Thanks for the response.

I was thinking similarly except for one thing...even when i do not move the lid, just opening Chrome would make display go off. And then i can bring it back on but FN+Display ON key combo.

Both of these observations make me think it could be software problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.