ASUS Laptop Keyboard Backlight Not Working!

Silibant

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
Hey everyone, I just upgraded my ASUS N56V laptop to a clean copy of Windows 8.1 (64 bit) from Windows 7 (64 bit), and all the function keys (trackpad lock, backlight, etc) are not responding. The keyboard lights up on boot, but I can't adjust it in the OS. Help?

Silibant

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013

One of the downloads was a BIOS file. What do I do with it? Also, there wasn't any keyboard drivers or anything like that.

Silibant

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013

Worked like a charm. Thanks!

Zoracle

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014
I tried this but when I try to install it, it says another version of the program is running on my computer. I can't see anything called ATKACPI in my control panel though. The only three ASUS programs I have installed are:
ASUS Console
ASUS Smart Gesture
Windows Driver Package - ASUS (ATP) Mouse (01/10/2013 1.0.0.170)

I'm just afraid to uninstall any of these without knowing the other install will fix it. Please advise.

Taseen Khan

Estimable
Jul 25, 2015
Hey, guys, I have a Zenbook UX303LN. I have encountered the same problem. Of course this problem occurred for no apparent reason as I haven't reinstalled Windows or such. I previously attempted to reinstall the ATK Package but that didn't work out. What should I do?

Mikko_N

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015

I have the same exact problem. Asus UX303LN running W10, backlit keys just stopped working randomly.

bojan47

Commendable
Aug 4, 2016
Did you find any solution?

Mggs

Commendable
Aug 4, 2016

I downloaded the ATK Package from Asus website and installed it, then restarted the pc. It basically overwrites the buggy/corrupted old ATK package file I believe. It also works when your backlight starts blinking randomly. It's kinda buggy.

bojan47

Commendable
Aug 4, 2016
I'm asking 'cause I have an Asus Laptop Q553UB and it happened to me the same as you guys, I've tried to reinstall the driver from the Asus website, reinstall windows and nothing happens.

Ananya_1

Commendable
Dec 18, 2016
Uninstall atk package from control panel first, then restart pc and then download atk package from asus website and install and restart. Worked like a charm for me!

Firebain

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017

I am having the same problem however it is with Windows 10 and there is no option for that.

Jay_1327

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016

I was having an issue with my keyboard light pereodically not working. I found a post that said to cover your light sensor with your hand momentarily (mine was located near my webcam on top of my screen). Poof, my keyboard lit up. I was super suprised! Try it, might work for you. (Asus ROG-GL752v)

ashleamaree5621

Prominent
Oct 18, 2017

I have an Asus ROG G750JW-DB71. I recently wiped and reinstalled Windows 10 Pro, but randomly I turned it on and noticed the backlight was off. I tried to use Fn+F4 to turn it back on and nothing happened. I followed Construkt's instructions and downloaded the latest ATKACPI driver, which is now V1.0.0.0039, and right after it finished downloading, the light came back on. Thank you so much for all the help!

Jun 26, 2018
I have an ROG G750 and I had done ALL of the suggestions found online from update ATK, filters off, etc... I had a keyboard lockup as well with the backlight issue, typing response was delayed, and my touchpad would not function or toggle. So with this weird combination I tried updating my bios and the winflash told me I had to have 20% battery to do it. Well, if you have one of these laptops you will know the battery has charging issues, so I have had my permanently plugged in for awhile now. I caved and ordered a new battery so I could get the new bios updated and BOOM! ALL the problems were instantly solved. Keyboard delay went away, the backlight came back on and FN keys now work for them, and the touchpad toggle works. All because of a low battery. The batteries are "supposed" to last two years, but if did the ATK, BIOS, driver updates, and checked keyboard filters to off... then replace your battery. NOWHERE on the internet does it mention this solution, so wanted to be sure to post it here for anyone else.