ASUS laptop keyboard has dead keys: d f j k l ; and numeric keypad 6 will not type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eero

Estimable
Sep 15, 2015
I have a strange problem with an ASUS K55 laptop keyboard. The d f j k l ; and numeric keypad 6 will not type. I am currently using a plugged in USB keyboard that works just fine.

I ordered a replacement keyboard from eBay, but to my surprise, I get exactly the same behavior. So if it is not the keyboard hardware, and an external keyboard works fine, then it must be between the laptop keyboard connector and the OS. Very strange.

I have read the forums, but no one seems to have a clear solution. I even tried the tin foil suggestion - no luck. I uninstalled and re-installed the drivers - no luck.

Has anyone solved this??

Solution
I found a solution (at least it worked for me).

It appears that the laptop was dropped at some point (2 year olds are awesome!) and the battery shifted on impact. This caused some of the connectors between the battery and the laptop to become bent and misaligned. (This was pretty clear when you looked at the connectors on the battery - you could see the bent ones.) So I carefully bent the connectors back in place and re-attached the battery. When I fired the laptop up, all keys worked. Not sure if this will solve everyone's problem but it worked for me. Good luck.
Hi,

The most common solution with that issue and probably the last resort is to perform a Factory Reset with the PC. Since the laptop works with an external keyboard and it should behaved the same if it's just a setting in the keyboard. Also since you tried replacing the keyboard as well with a new one.

Here's the steps on how to perform a Factory Reset:
http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1006133/

canycane

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016

I have the same issue also. I bought a new board and it didn't fix issue. The tech took laptop back and 10 min later came back and it worked. It was good for a couple months, but now same issue. I'm going to take it back and let him do whatever he did before. I also think it's a windows 10 issue. I had no problems until the update from windows 8.

sbvballer

Estimable
Jan 3, 2016
I found a solution (at least it worked for me).

It appears that the laptop was dropped at some point (2 year olds are awesome!) and the battery shifted on impact. This caused some of the connectors between the battery and the laptop to become bent and misaligned. (This was pretty clear when you looked at the connectors on the battery - you could see the bent ones.) So I carefully bent the connectors back in place and re-attached the battery. When I fired the laptop up, all keys worked. Not sure if this will solve everyone's problem but it worked for me. Good luck.

Solution

mashalwolfzai

Estimable
Jan 13, 2016

I am having similar issue''' if I reset to factory setting will I lose everything i have on my laptop? Ifnyes, how can I save all that I have... pictures and documents etc

shardawna

Estimable
Jan 15, 2016

I had the same problem. I just removed the battery for about 45 seconds, put it back in and powered up the laptop. Bingo! Problem solved. It's free and worth a try. I hope it helps someone else.

Jack_108

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016

Jack,

I had the same problem. I just removed the battery for about 45 seconds, put it back in and powered up the laptop. Bingo! Problem solved. It's free and worth a try. I hope it helps someone else. This really worked for me.... I have been battling this issue for 3 months now and I am up and running.

tenthman

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016

tenthman

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016
The ASUS S551LB laptop is JUNK!!! Too many people with keyboard problems (including me) and all the solutions I've tried don't work.

I even had a 'tech' from ASUS tell me that Win 7 isn't compatible with my laptop!!! Huh?

Don't waste your money with that bunch!!!

eckad104

Commendable
May 2, 2016
Tried the "remove the battery" solution
60 seconds later, 6 months of frustration is fixed for $zero
Thanks for the simplest of solutions
Should have tried that myself

Status
Not open for further replies.