Solved! Asus laptop keyboard typing extra or wrong characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

jewie27

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
My Asus X44H laptop is typing the wrong characters or adding extra letters/symbols when I press certain keys. for example, press the O key types no. Sometimes in chrome when I type the letter O it activates F11 for full screen mode. Seems like the key mapping is way off.

I uninstalled the keyboard from device manager and rebooted. I also tried reseating the ribbon cable that connects it to the motherboard. Nothing has worked so far.

The language is set to English (US), Keyboard is QWERTY layout, and Numlock is disabled. My antivirus is Kaspersky 2018 and no viruses or malware have been found.

Solution

I bought a new Asus x44h keyboard on ebay for $15 and it fixed the problem. The ribbon cable was defective.

jewie27

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
didn't work. i googled the issue before coming here. I've rebooted over 20 times and made sure the language and keyboard were set to English (US) Qwerty keyboard. I removed the keyboard and ribbon cable, air dusted the keyboard port on the motherboard and reseated the cable. Pressing Fn+numlock does nothing.

jewie27

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

I bought a new Asus x44h keyboard on ebay for $15 and it fixed the problem. The ribbon cable was defective.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.