Silibant

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
As the title says, I've got to wait 5 minutes before my CURRENT-GEN ASUS laptop will finish booting! This includes the "unusable" period right after boot. What can I do to fix this? Notes: Hard drive is a WD Scorpio Blue 500GB 5400 RPM HDD, it is set to boot 1st, I have disabled everything (within reason) in my "Boot" tab of msconfig. Thanks, and happy laptopping!

2x4b

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
Try removing the Optical drive and booting. Does it change the boot time?
Do the same thing with anything else connected, USB, eSATA, PCI cards, and so on. Unplug everything and see if you can narrow it down to a component that may be failing.
There could be a faulty component on the motherboard that is causing issues, but that would be very difficult to diagnose.

Silibant

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013

I can't. Since this is a laptop, I'd rather not take EVERY SINGLE COMPONENT out of the thing just to unplug a disk drive. Also, I wouldn't be able to boot it after I removed one thing, so that might take weeks even IF I was able to manage a dismantle without destroying everything. Thanks for responding, though, and for taking the time to put in some effort.

2x4b

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
The optical drive will just slide out. There should way to eject the whole thing without cracking open the case (consult the manual). Sometimes there is an eject button/lever or a screw that keeps it from sliding out.

I was thinking of just the external ports: if you have anything plugged in, disconnect it. (printers, peripherals, mice, game controllers, external storage, and so on)

You are right though, if the problem is inside the laptop, there is little you can do.

Specifically, I have had a CD drive fail in the past and it manifested itself as a really long boot time. When I removed the device the boot time was back to normal. I have had the same thing happen with a printer, and an internal storage drive.

You could also run some hard drive diagnostics (consult the manufacturer of your hard drive) in case it may be the component that is failing.

Silibant

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013

An easy eject, you say? THIS merits investigation. I will return with further news. Also, I don't generally plug peripherals into this thing, as the USB ports are like black holes. I tore apart a microUSB reciever trying to get it out of there.

2x4b

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
Then I suspect a failing component somewhere on the motherboard (since you said that you have already looked at the start up software). If the fault is like the ones that I have experienced, there will be a day when the boot time goes from 5 minutes to "infinite". it could happen soon, or it could take years.

You could try to have the system serviced at a reputable shop, but these kinds of intermittent faults are very difficult to troubleshoot ($$'s) If the fault is in the motherboard it is likely cheaper to replace the whole system.

That means implement a regular (and tested) backup strategy now.
Create a budget and start saving for a replacement system.

Silibant

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013

Oh, darn. I have an iMac and a desktop PC already, the lappie was for gaming on the go, so really nothing at all on there. It'll be missed, but there's nothing irreplaceable on it. Thanks for the help, and just to let you know I'm not gonna mark this as solved because I hope someone else will stumble upon the thread with new knowledge. No offense, just keeping hope alive.

Silibant

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013

Firstly, nice profile picture. Second, no, I took great pains to leave the USB port intact, as it was one of 2 USB3's which I like. Also, I don't have a bootable USB currently. Do you suggest some Linux distro just as a test?