Solved! Asus Laptop some keys not working w,s,2,x, esc

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew.sargem

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
I have an Asus Q524UQ laptop and recently the w,s,2,x, and esc stopped working. Now I can get them to work after pressing on them for enough and then they work at least for a short while. I have tried uninstalling the keyboard driver but honestly I may not be doing that the right way. I would prefer not to take it to Best Buy/Geek Squad because I am in college and cannot afford to be without a laptop for the extended period of time I am going to assume they would have it for. Also just so you know it does have an internal battery so I am unable to power off and remove. Any help that can lead to this problem being fixed is greatly appreciated.

Solution
Once it has been uninstalled you have to reboot and let it reinstall it on its own. If the driver is the problem, then it should resolve it. If it isn't the driver, then that will not fix it.
NOTE: If you need to type in a password to even get into Windows to do the following, make sure you attached an external keyboard first, to get past the password. Then disconnect the external keyboard and try the following...

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.

If this doesn't work, you may wish to try connecting an external keyboard and see if it works fine. If it does, then it could be the keys themselves that are the issue.

You may also want to try updating the Synaptics Driver if the above doesn't help.

andrew.sargem

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017

This may sound stupid but when I go to device manager and click uninstall device it asks me do I want I uninstall. I click yes and it automatically pops up saying it needs to restart. I have clicked no before and the keyboard still seems to work. I am normally good with computers but when it comes to stuff like this it gets a little fuzzy for me. I have been assuming that when I go through these steps it does it without reinstalling but again I may be entirely wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.