Question Asus laptop won't turn on after ssd install

Sep 1, 2020
I have an Asus laptop, 3 years old. It has a 120gb ssd in it already and a 1tb normal hard drive. My hubby mistakenly thought he could remove the 120ssd and replace it with a 1tb ssd but we have since found out the 120ssd is an M2 sata.
Anyway, he switched out the 1tb hd and installed the 1tb ssd in its place. It originally did fire up but then when he turned it off and on again, it now won't do anything, no lights at all. He has removed the 1tb ssd hd and put back the 1tb normal hd but still nothing happening. I am wondering if he has fried it by not grounding himself before the install?
Are there any checks we can do to possibly bring it back to life? it wasn't a cheap laptop, its a gaming version that cost £800 but it is out of warranty. He has tried holding down the power button for 30 seconds to no avail.

AlHuneke

Proper
Jul 7, 2020
I assume the smaller SSD was the boot drive? If that is the case, you can try removing the big drive and seeing if it will boot. Taking ESD precautions when you open the laptop is important and you may have zapped some circuitry. You can also try to disconnect and reconnect the main battery, but I don't see how that will help. Is there normally an LED that lights up when you plug in external power? Is that not lighting up? If that's the situation, I'm afraid you are out of luck. Best bet is probably to return it to ASUS for service (I can't speak to how well their service works). Keep in mind if you do this, it will likely come back with the disk(s) wiped except for a Windows install. If you have data that's not backed up, get a USB cable that connects to your drives and save off the data. At least you can find our if the drives still work that way.

Sep 1, 2020
Hi and thank you for your reply. He did try just booting with the 120ssd but that did nothing either.
We are going to try taking it to a local computer repair close to us.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mikmikasd Laptop Tech Support 2
Jovke8882 Laptop Tech Support 3
P Laptop Tech Support 0
juliver Laptop Tech Support 3
vronti Laptop Tech Support 0
O Laptop Tech Support 2
3 Laptop Tech Support 1
TheAlienJD Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 3
Srijal Kc Laptop Tech Support 2