Asus Launches Eee Pad Transformer Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Best. Tablet. Ever.

A nice iPad-ish entertaintment device (but with superior software and likely hardware) combined with a decent netbook. Great!

And before someone mentions the 'but the iPad has a dock too' argument: this one is a full fledged notebook with the dock. The iPad with dock isn't something you'd put on your lap.

G

according to the website in Taiwan, yes, it has IPS panel and a microSD slot, on the tablet. The tablet itself does not have USB port, the USB port only exist on the dock.

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Cyberlife has come full circle, with tablets today becoming more like Laptops of the past. That being the case, why not buy a netbook or a light form factor lappy?

G

So by the time you buy the Tablet and the Keyboard. Why not just buy a small Notebook? I am confused? Why would you buy a tablet only to have to buy a keyboard? Does this not acknowledge that the Tablet design is not ideal?

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]jescott418[/nom]So by the time you buy the Tablet and the Keyboard. Why not just buy a small Notebook? I am confused? Why would you buy a tablet only to have to buy a keyboard? Does this not acknowledge that the Tablet design is not ideal?[/citation]

You don't get the idea that's why you asked this question.

The idea of a tablet is that it's fun to use, while also having useful real-life usage, If you're on the go and need internet browsing this will more than suffice and is a much better alternative than a notebook, try and get 16 hours of life from your notebook.

Plus it has the keyboard/mouse, which not only gives it more battery life but also acts as a stand, think of it as a computer in it's own class because it is, it's a tablet not a notebook

G

It' tablet! It's a netbook! Best internet and media consumption device to date! Way to go Asus!

phexac

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Actually does not look that appealing at all. I am buying a tablet because I want a tablet, not a netbook. I want a couch surfing device that I can hold comfortably and control with a few hand/finger swipes. It is most certainly not a device I want to do much work on. For that I have my desktop with a comfortable keyboard, fast processor (lightning fast compared to a tablet) and a full OS. If I absolutely must do some work on the couch, I have a Macbook Air which, again has a better keyboard, faster processor (much faster than even one in a real netbook), and a full OS.

As such, I am not looking for a tablet to try and replace any of my computers, especially seeing as it really can't even if I wanted it to. As a result an attachable keyboard is an unnecessary accessory that makes this device more clunky when attached, taking away from the simplicity and comfort of a tablet-type device.

As far as the Android versus iOS argument, I actually have mixed feelings. I have Galaxy S phone, and I certainly love the flexibility and openness of the android system. Just being able to copy any common movie format to the phone like I would to a USB flash drive and be able to play them is absolutely great. Having to reformat most movie formats and then use iTunes before being able to view them on iPod/iPhone/iPad feels retarded in comparison. On the other hand, the smooth operation of the idevices is really appealing and even the latest iterations of Android feel clunky in comparison.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
The optional keyboard....is just that, optional. If you don't want it, don't buy it. Simply as that. You can buy the tablet....and use it as strictly a tablet. But for those that need a bit more than a tablet, but don't need/want a full size notebook/laptop....this is a bit of an inbetween.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Still the best idea in hybrid still belongs to lenovo with the u1. You have the tablet wich is a normal tablet, then you have the dock that is netbook with a core 2 duo with a full os in it. Too bad they never produced it, most likely because it's price would be too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.