asus n550jk vs asus n550jk (diff specs)

kevinbacon

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
So asus has two models of the Asus N550jk:
Asus N550jk-DS71T ($1,099)
Asus N550jk-DB74T ($1,399)
Obviously one is more expensive but is the 1399 one worth it?
I plan on using the laptop for college work and a gaming (hearthstone, LoL, WoW)
And maybe a bit of video editing since I plan on doing film.
Both laptops have blu ray which is what I really want in a laptop. I was thinking about going mac but those arent the best with gaming.
Whats the difference between the two asus laptops above and which would you recommend for me?

Solution
Well, as those are the same laptop with different amounts of memory and types of hard drives - it is up to you.

The DS71T version has 8GB of memory and a 1TB hard drive.
The DS74T version has 16GB of memory and a 256GB SSD.

The SSD will make launching applications and general disk access much faster and will usually reduce power consumption. Of course you will have less space to store things, though.

The additional memory will help in large applications like Photoshop, but games usually don't care.

For the uses that you have stated, the more expensive one would be faster accessing the disk and already has the maximum memory that the laptop can take - but they should both work the same.

Personally, I would go with the less expensive...

wildfire707

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Well, as those are the same laptop with different amounts of memory and types of hard drives - it is up to you.

The DS71T version has 8GB of memory and a 1TB hard drive.
The DS74T version has 16GB of memory and a 256GB SSD.

The SSD will make launching applications and general disk access much faster and will usually reduce power consumption. Of course you will have less space to store things, though.

The additional memory will help in large applications like Photoshop, but games usually don't care.

For the uses that you have stated, the more expensive one would be faster accessing the disk and already has the maximum memory that the laptop can take - but they should both work the same.

Personally, I would go with the less expensive one and upgrade those parts in the future.

Solution