Asus q550lf keyboard b n space arrow keys not working

krashton1

Estimable
Jul 11, 2014
Hello, I just bought this laptop a few weeks ago, an ASUS q550lf.

Regardless, certain keys will occasionally work and occasionally not work. Those keys are b, n, enter, space, left shift, left control, up, and down arrow keys and maybe some others that I have missed.

Normally I am very tech savvy but I can not figure out what is going wrong with this laptop.

When the keys are not functioning properly, it appears that they will not work unless I press them and leave them pressed for 3 or 4 seconds, then it will register a single click.

I do not believe that the problem could be dirt in the keys because this laptop is still almost brand new. I have not yet tried attaching an external keyboard but I would assume it would work, I will check it tonight.

The keyboard usually will not function for about 70% of the time it seems.

Solution
Hey guys. I'm currently in the middle of trying to find a proper solution. I think I have an answer.
I am currently typing on my q550lf. About 5 minutes ago, I could not get my " Spacebar, N, B, L-Arrow, L-Shift, Enter (etc)," to give me ANY life. I'm a hardware guy and pretty mechanical. I was convinced it was a bus line that may have become severed. I called ASUS and Newegg to see if I could get any advice or maybe a hand out. No luck.
My wife insisted that it was DRIVERS. I didn't listen. I mean, seeing others have the exact spot on problem only makes me think its hardware!

I'm running this post long, mostly as a test- The keyboard STILL WORKS! What was the answer?
How many of y'all are running the original HDD? I put an SSD in...

151rum

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014

I have a 9 month old asus q550lf and have the exact same issue. 2 days ago I stripped it out to just the keyboard which requires yoy remove everything inside btw. The keyboard is part of the whole top plate and is plastic riveted in. You can tell its a manufacturing issue and will not get better, only worse. The plastic rivets in the "working" parts of the keyboard are nice and thick and well formed. The areas where the keys dont work the tops of the rivets are very thin and poorly pressed, allowing for seperation. Talking to asus their only solution is to send it to them for keyboard replacement, minimum 2 week turn around. I dont have anywhere to back up 800gb of data and fall semester starts soon so im going to try and get them to just send me a keyboard. Its a shame, its such a nice looking laptop yet I have had so many issues with it. Out of the box the fans would jump to 100% rpm and stay that way, took 3 bios updates and 2 months to fix that, the trackpad is super garbage, problems with the dvd tray fittin proper with the bottom, keyboard light issues and now the keyboard being unusable. I would not recommend the q550 to anyone. Goodluck

krashton1

Estimable
Jul 11, 2014

While not really a solution. I didn't come back to the forum as my keyboard on its own started working again. I don't know what the issue is but best of luck to you.

151rum

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014
Yeah it will. On and off. It took about 5 months for mine to become totally unuseable. You will notice the left shift, space and enter key not registering at times causing you to press them harder further damaging the poorly manufactured keyboard. It started for me very slow and a reboot seemed to fix it at times. Seriously get it fixed now it will only get worse. Not working keys left control, left shift, b, n, space, main enter key, left and right arrow keys, sometimes down and up arrow. All I can remember off the top of my head. You arent the only one with the exact same keys not working, search around some. Luck.

Kronol

Estimable
Aug 23, 2014
I'm having the exact same issue. ASUS Q550LF, about 6 months old.
Left Control, Left Shift, Spacebar, B, N, left and right arrow keys are mostly unresponsive. Holding a key down, as someone mentioned, will sometimes not work.

I have installed all the drivers on the ASUS site. After no luck, I even reinstalled Win8 afterwards. Even with a fresh OS, still no fix.

Since it's an occurring issue with other users, it has to be a driver issue or the way the laptop was made..

Jer2112

Estimable
Aug 28, 2014
Hey guys. I'm currently in the middle of trying to find a proper solution. I think I have an answer.
I am currently typing on my q550lf. About 5 minutes ago, I could not get my " Spacebar, N, B, L-Arrow, L-Shift, Enter (etc)," to give me ANY life. I'm a hardware guy and pretty mechanical. I was convinced it was a bus line that may have become severed. I called ASUS and Newegg to see if I could get any advice or maybe a hand out. No luck.
My wife insisted that it was DRIVERS. I didn't listen. I mean, seeing others have the exact spot on problem only makes me think its hardware!

I'm running this post long, mostly as a test- The keyboard STILL WORKS! What was the answer?
How many of y'all are running the original HDD? I put an SSD in my laptop as soon as the fed ex guy let go of the box. I've been using it for months. Just a few moments ago I had my SSD with WIN8 pro installed on it and like I said, I got no response from the affected keys. I reinstalled the original HDD and booted the machine up, just a minute ago, for the first time as if I would have the day I bought it in Feb of this year. As soon as I could open a browser, I came here to write my findings. The first sentence of this post is the longest body of uninterrupted words I've written all summer.

It's 100% Software. ( The wife just said I told you)
A month ago she installed new drivers on my laptop, and for a day the computer gave me few issues. It turned sour rapidly and became unusable. She still thinks its a poor integration of hardware and software on Asus' part. Something is degrading.
Either way, we have a better answer to what is going on.

How many of y'all have the original HDD and software? Has anyone done a clean install to the HDD or installed a SSD?

PS Typed the whole thing without a hitch. I'm gonna put the SSD back in and report back.

-EDIT
I DONT KNOW WHAT TO BELIEVE ANY MORE! I just put my SSD back in.(Typing on the laptop now) and it works fine!! ITS 100% HARDWARE! (jk I don't know anymore)
So.. I'm gonna see how long the keyboard will work with the SSD installed. *facepalm*

Solution

151rum

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014

Never put a SSD in mine. Been stock this entire time. Took 4 calls but I got ASUS to send me a replacement keyboard, still waiting for it to ship. Once installed we will see. I did do a refresh and now a factory reformat my keys are still dead. Only way I got asus to send the keyboard was 1 complain, alot. 2 assure them I knew what I was doing and that I understood me doing it would void the warrenty (expires in 2 weeks anyways) filled out the advanced part replacement rma which included giving a credit card to hold 80 bucks (cost of the board) scanned and emailed it on the 22nd. Talked to a rep today as to why it hasnt shipped yet and was told they were escalating it to see if they could get me an answer. No amswer yet. Will keep informed

Jer2112

Estimable
Aug 28, 2014
After working for a few days, the keyboard in SSD formation finally completely gave out. Ill let yall know what happens next.

EDIT: I put the original HDD back in (with original preloaded everything) and the keyboard remained non functional in those affected areas =[. Guess its hardware. Now to try to pinpoint the issue. The keyboard restored full function after I replaced the HDD to test it. thats all I touched. The HDD ribbon adapter was the only thing that got moved around. Today, I pulled the ribbon for the KB and cleaned the contacts. Still no bueno...

151rum

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014

Talked to ASUS again today, they said my keyboard just shipped. I should receive it Monday. The kleyboard is 80 dollars on ASUS site and has been sold out since 7-14-14. Quite a few models use it

http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=6450

I will post back after replacing it on monday or tuesday. Man it was a pain to get them to send it to me

Jaboka

Estimable
Sep 9, 2014

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents... I'm having the same problem. Been working on and off (same keys everyone is complaining about). First I thought it was the keyboard connection... I put my laptop in my bag on the optical drive side so I thought I had just loosened the connection. Sure enough, when I knocked it around the other direction it would start working again. This fix worked for the past couple months, but now this is no longer proving effective. I have loved ASUS up to this point, but now I'm a little disenchanted. What do you all suppose the chances of getting an ASUS rep to chime into this thread would be?

151rum

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014
I would like to share my nightmare with ASUS SO far. I am removing the RMA numbers as to avoid tampering. This is unedited besides the removal of RMA info

Chat transcript

Full Name: Michael Demont

E-mail: **

Phone: **
Existing Case# or RMA#: USX2***

Serial Number or Model Name: Q550LF

Territory: USA

Support type: Notebook - RMA Status

Chat Server Server 1

Reason for your chat today: It has been over 2 weeks and no word on my RMA

Temar Mon, 09/08/14 07:50:32 pm Europe/Berlin

Hello Michael Demont, thank you for contacting ASUS support. Please give me a few moments to review your information. I will be with you shortly.
Thank you for your patience.

Michael Demont 07:53:21 pm

i am looking for the tracking number for RMA USX2***

Temar 07:53:27 pm

I will be more than happy to assist you
May I have few moments to check into the information for you?

Michael Demont 07:53:38 pm

yes
Demont Thank you and your request will be processed accordingly. Terrie Leonard ---------- Original Message ---------- From : m***@gmail.com Sent : 8/21/2014 6:22:34 PM To : "xship_rma@asus.com" Subject : RMA USX2** Michael Demont [CASEID=PT***

Temar 08:00:04 pm

Thank you for your patience.
May I have the tracking number please?

Michael Demont 08:02:53 pm

do you guys really have no idea what you are doing? I have been waiting for YOU to send to ME MY KEYBOARD, so I can replace it and send you my old one. I am contacting YOU to get my tracking number that I have yet to recieve...'.

Temar 08:03:48 pm

Oh, you did an advance replacement

Michael Demont 08:04:08 pm

yes

Temar 08:07:53 pm

Thank you. So I am seeing that the process was initiated on 2014/08/14 and the forms were received on 8/22/2014 and I am seeing that it will be sent out via GROUND SHIPMENT.
There is no tracking information as yet
This sis so because the keyboard is not yet shipped out
Based on what I am seeing, the advanced replacement is still being processed

Michael Demont 08:09:33 pm

9-4-14 I was told it HAD been shipped, I save every one of these chats, 9-4 I was told the next day I coiuld contact you to get the tracking number. I have that chat saved. Are you sayiung thast you/ ASUS have lied to me yet again?
this is over 3 weeks now, what is the problem

Temar 08:10:21 pm

I am seeing where our escalations department is also on to of this for you as a case was escalated to that department last week for an update of the tracking.
They haven't received a response as yet

Michael Demont 08:10:52 pm

this is not acceptable.
i spent 999 on this laptop for college, as it is it is unuseable, I am in my 3rd week now. What is the problem

Temar 08:12:36 pm

I wouldn't say that they are lying because once GROUND SHIPMENT is on the system it means that the unit will be shipped out immediately or it may take about 24-48 hours to be shipped out

Michael Demont 08:13:10 pm

is it because for whatever reason you keep expecting me to send you something? 9-4 is longer then 48 hours

Temar 08:13:23 pm

But apparently this si not going on so hence the reason why our escalations department got involved
I agree
I can assure you though that our escalations department is on top of it because this is pretty much unacceptable!
I do apologize for the inconvenience that this is causing for you Michael but we at the technical support center merely depend on the information that we receive from the service facility.. All the information is what was provided

Michael Demont 08:15:48 pm

why do you guys kleep asking me what my tracking number is? This needs to be handled by someone that has talked to me as it seems nothing is happening because you guys keep expecting me to send something, that is the only reason I can see for you guys causing me so much distress

Temar 08:16:13 pm

I asked for the tracking number because I misunderstood the type of RMA that was created
I am very sorry about that.
I shouldn't have asked you for any number

Michael Demont 08:17:00 pm

I needs someone to contact me via email as I currently am without my pohone untill wednesday.

Temar 08:18:32 pm

If I should pass the case again it may take about 24- 48 hors for it to be accessed by a superior but what you can do is to use the link below to get access to that department on your own. This si know at the Escalations mail box: ESCALATION MAILBOX: [url=https://vip.asus.com/VIP2/Services/QuestionForm/TechQuery]https://vip.asus.com/VIP2/Services/QuestionForm/TechQuery[/url]

Michael Demont 08:19:07 pm

every week i am tolkd something is happening, every week nothing happens. I paid alot for this laptop, I paid alot for college where I intended to use this laptop, this is costing me a hell of a lot of monet and causing a lot of distrust and anger towards asus

Temar 08:20:30 pm

I would suggest you send an email directly to them using the link below. You do have a right to be Angry at Asus and I totally agree with you.

Michael Demont 08:21:33 pm

fine, please take some time and resolve this as there has been no sort of resolution provided whatsoever this entire time. I will email the address you provided.

Temar 08:21:53 pm

I will be passing the case again while you also send an email using the link I gave you. Thank you for your patience with me Michael.

Michael Demont 08:23:10 pm

the link you provided seems like a basic tech support inquiry email, I do not need tech support.
no do i need basic assistance

Temar 08:25:10 pm

Please select "complaint" from the drop down at the top.

Michael Demont 08:25:49 pm

again, basic. sigh, why?

Temar 08:26:46 pm

From this link you will be sending an email about the problems you are having
Once you select complaint the fields will change from technical support to complaint support.
The case was successfully passed again

Michael Demont 08:28:01 pm

which apparently means nothing

Temar 08:28:19 pm

What makes you say though?

Michael Demont 08:28:42 pm

nothing has happened and its been escalated before correct?

Temar 08:29:11 pm

Yes it was escalated before..

Michael Demont 08:30:12 pm

aight im done as nothing is coming from this, i will fill out the complaint, I must go before i lose the ability to stayy calm

Temar 08:30:33 pm

But the act of a customer doing this them selves I think would apply a greater impact..

Michael Demont 08:30:57 pm

highly doubtful
it has been proven to me by asus the customer means nothing

Temar 08:31:30 pm

I am going to have to say that I disagree with you

Michael Demont 08:31:31 pm

please disconnect chat so I can be sure this emails to me properly

Temar 08:31:45 pm

Asus does value their customers

Michael Demont 08:31:47 pm

proven ius proven

Temar 08:33:13 pm

I wish I could do more to assist you with this and have you leaving the chat more on asus's side but unfortunately I cant do this and I am very sorry about that. I will keep track of this for you myself.
It was nice talking to you today Michael, do have yourself a lovely evening

Michael Demont 08:33:41 pm

thank you

Temar 08:33:55 pm

Thank you for your chat. Feel free to contact us again.

Duration: 43m 23s

pizzafihop

Estimable
Sep 27, 2014
Hi everybody,

I just bought the q550lf refurbished off newegg. for some reason i keep missing keystrokes. it's as if the keyboard is simply not sensitive enough when i'm pressing the keys. if i'm deliberate with each keystroke, then it never misses.

I did some research and I believe you can replace the keyboard with q500a's keyboard, which is $40.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/100-Original-Silver-laptop-replacement-keyboard-for-Asus-Q500-Q500A-with-backlight/1716308110.html

still not sure if I should take this thing back or continue using the keyboard that may end up failing someday........ i was really hoping that this newer ASUS wouldn't have the keyboard problems my old one did... but it almost seems worse :(

151rum

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014

No no, you most certainly can not use the q500a. The q500lf does not have a replaceable keyboard. I FINALLY received mine from Asus. It is the entire top tray requiring removing the monitor, motherboard, every single component that there is and then putting it all back into the new keyboard module.
http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=6450
Take note of the 3 models it covers. Look at it.
That's it. There is no possible way to remove the keyboard. After you pull the motherboard you see that the entire thing is plastic riveted in place with, dunno way over 50 though. Just look at yours, all the way from the edge of the wrist wrest to the edge of a key, do you see a seam? Take off the bottom, you will need a T5 torx screwdriver. You will see
Side note. For me, I do have a bit of experience and no small amount of common sense, to replace it was rather easy, took about 2 hours and I did it sitting on the couch and yay. I have a fully functioning keyboard again!
Only took way way too long. Too much arguing and I had to make them make me break my warrenty. But there is not a chance in hell that the geek squad will ever touch anything I own after purchase.

BTW, I looked at my link again, still out of stock, its been out of stock for months now, no joke.

pizzafihop

Estimable
Sep 27, 2014

dang.. i was just speculating... my old ASUS laptop, the keyboard could be lifted right out just by using a screwdriver to push back the clips.

Well I guess I need to decide if I should return this thing or not... it's kind of annoying having to hammer down my fingers for every keystroke.... :(

akbr

Estimable
Oct 1, 2014
hi.

any solution for this?

I have attached a wireless keyboard and all keys working fine but when I use laptop's keyboard N, B, space, enter, z, left shift, left control, up and down keys, + and - numeric keys dont work.

I believe it has a hardware problem, do you guys find any solution for this?

akbr

Estimable
Oct 1, 2014

glad you have a fully functioning keyboard again.

I have read all your posts, you know I have purchased this unit in Afghanistan about 3 weeks ago, seller gave warranty of one year.
I am sure seller won't refund at all.
and I believe no tech guy is here to solve the issue but to make it really worse, I am really not interested to give them back this laptop as its specs are really good.

while writing this topic the keyboard works fine, but sometimes the mentioned keys won't work at all no matter how hard you press it you wont get any response.
also external wireless keyboard connected in to it doesnt has any issue and it works prefectly.
only replacing keyboard will help to have a working keyboard?

what you will advice me to do?

151rum

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014

Given where you have bought it, I'm actually taking marketing this semester and we are talking about the cultural differences over there, yeah, doubtful on a return. If you don't care about breaking the warrenty I suggest you fix it yourself.
I provided a link to the right keyboard you will need. Like I said it's been sold out over 2 months now, but now you know what you need and might be able to find it elsewhere.
The tools needed are minimal. T5 torx screwdriver for the bottom. Phillips screwdriver for the inside. That's it.
Take bottom off. Take out CD drive. Hard drive and the speakers. You will be able to access the hinges for the monitor. Take whatever else you can out, power button board, wifi board, etc. Take off monitor, gonna need to open it about 90 degrees before unscrewing so you can get it off.
There is only 1 screw that is hidden during the whole process, it's under a heat pipe for the processor, I was able to take it out and install it with the right screwdriver just hitting it at an angle.
Actually very easy. Just take lots and lots of pics as you're working. Take pics of screw locations ect.
I took pictures when I did it. I'm at school now I'll try and post some later pointing out what you need to do.

Or just use an external keyboard...