Asus ROG G551VW compatibility with Samsung SM951

iancuio

Estimable
Jul 30, 2015
Hello!

I just bought the following laptop:

https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G551VW/specifications/

I don't have much experience with laptops, and I'm curious if it's compatible with the following SSD:

Samsung SM951 - 256gb

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147425

I have researched a bit, the laptop has PCI Express x4 and SSD has the PCI Express x4 interface, but I was wondering if there is something else to look after other than that.

Thank you!

Solution
Well the laptop has the x4 PCI-E which is precisely made for the NVMe. I know for certain it supports m.2 SSD (installed one myself), it should support the NVMe as well (since it has Intel® HM170 Chipset which officially supports it), however you can't really be certain. Maybe the bios doesn't support it, nowhere in the manual does ASUS mention anything about SSDs. Personally I would contact the customer support before trying to install an SSD or buy an SSD which you can return if it doesn't work.

Gingerbread

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Well the laptop has the x4 PCI-E which is precisely made for the NVMe. I know for certain it supports m.2 SSD (installed one myself), it should support the NVMe as well (since it has Intel® HM170 Chipset which officially supports it), however you can't really be certain. Maybe the bios doesn't support it, nowhere in the manual does ASUS mention anything about SSDs. Personally I would contact the customer support before trying to install an SSD or buy an SSD which you can return if it doesn't work.

Solution

iancuio

Estimable
Jul 30, 2015

Thank you!

I will install it and come back with some results and feedback, maybe it will help you or someone else.

Cheers!

Eric_83

Commendable
May 24, 2016

Hi, I have recently bought the G551VW as well, just like to find out how was your experience with the installation of the M2 SSD.

Just wondering for the M2 SSD do I have to be looking for the mini/half size M2 SSD or would the full size M2 SSD fit?

Does the laptop have any issues booting from the M2 SSD?

iancuio

Estimable
Jul 30, 2015
Yes, my experience with the M.2 SSD was 0. The thing is, there are 2 models of G551VW, they differ in the product series.

Mine was the normal variant, with 8 GB of RAM and no SSD. Price in Romania: ~1000$.

There is the other variant, which has 8 GB of RAM and 128GB SSD (bet it's a Kingston V300, bullsh*t anyway), at a staggering + 450$, totaling ~1450. Only this one has an M.2 SSD socket. The 1000$ variant hasn't. 450$ for a shitty SSD and 8 GB of RAM is just unjustifiable.

Anyway, I got an 850 EVO 250 GB for like 80$, and 8 GB Notebook RAM DDR4 for like 28$.

I got the same performance for like 1150$ (including the service taxes, I am not allowed to add these myself, because I will void my warranty), with 300$ difference. I suggest you do the same.

Cheers!