ROG GL502VT Storage upgrade options

Dallen1218

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015
I have a ASUS ROG Strix GL502VT gaming Laptop and I have a few upgrade options for inceasing my storage memory but I do not know if the newer m.2 memory solution is worth the money.

According to my documentation I should have the option of installing an M.2 SSD (NVME M.2 PCIe 3.0 X4 SSD)

And/or

A standard 2.5 SSD drive.

I use the laptop for gaming and general use but I have recently been getting tired of the slow hang ups that I believe my slower standard platter drive is causing so I am looking into upgrading the storage drives. I thought about getting a smaller m.2 drive(512gb) and supplementing it with a larger 500GB SSD drive but then I start wondering if the price of both drives are worth it. I have been trying to read up and educate myself on the new m.2 drives and I either find one of two answers
1. The m.2 drives are much faster on paper and I will never know the difference.
2. The m.2 drives are much faster and would solely invest in a good one to be a boot drive.

I come here seeking help on whether or not my laptop would benefit from such a drive and if it is worth the price.

What would be my optimal route?

Should I get a smaller cheaper m.2 for a boot/favorite application drive and keep my platter drive for mass storage(currently a 1TB HDD).
Should I get both a smaller m.2 drive and a medium(500GB) SSD drive.
Or should I skip the m.2 drive all together and just upgrade my current HDD to a 500/1TB SDD.

IHateSmurfs

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
Well, I haven't but I know some people that do use it. If the heat is a issue, grab a single sided M.2 SSD. Single Sided M.2 SSDs have the NAND, DRAM and controllers in one side only to prevent heat issues.

IHateSmurfs

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
Yeah grab a M.2 NVMe drive. There are a lot of budget drives, but I recommend the Samsung 960 EVO if you can afford it. There are lots of space options and it has faster speeds than a tradicional drive. Hope I helped!

Dallen1218

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015

Have you actually used the 960 EVO? I have been looking into it and there seems to be a heat issue. I was wondering if this would cause me issues with gaming since I will be putting the NVMe drive into a laptop.

IHateSmurfs

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
Well, I haven't but I know some people that do use it. If the heat is a issue, grab a single sided M.2 SSD. Single Sided M.2 SSDs have the NAND, DRAM and controllers in one side only to prevent heat issues.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Arul Dilip Laptop Tech Support 2
S Laptop Tech Support 2
Smoggucube Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1
E Laptop Tech Support 2
C Laptop Tech Support 1
O Laptop Tech Support 3
P Laptop Tech Support 8