ASUS ROG G56JK-EB72 Gameing Laptop Questions

kbandrew24

Estimable
Sep 17, 2014
Hey all. I don't have much knowledge on computer hardware. I'm looking to buy a laptop used for gaming and working (coding, audio, and video edits). This laptop caught my eyes for a great price.

The games I'd like to play on high would be Skyrim with mods. I looked around and saw people say that with a HDD (and not an SSD), the laptop is bottlenecked and was wondering what that meant. I also looked at the Lenovo Y50 and noticed it had a better (but how much better) GPU, less RAM, and an SDD. I don't like how it looks compared to the ASUS though

I also noticed that the ASUS has a 2.5Ghz compared to Lenovo's 2.4GHz and was wondering what difference it is in terms of speed. Overall, my budget is in the $1000's and would like to stay at 15''. I know cooling is an issue for laptops and read that the ASUS has only one fan. Some say that's bad, others said that the 850m only needs one fan etc. I plan to buy a cooling pad if that helps alleviate the problem.

Thanks for reading and any help is appreciated

Both laptops are very good in my opinion and can play skyrim very easily. In terms of cpu performance the asus wins slightly but not by much. In terms of gpu the lenovo wins.

As the asus has a weaker graphics card it probably only needs one fan and they are very good with their cooling. I have heard good things about the lenovo apart from its screen.

Really its up to you on which brand you like better as both laptops are very capable gaming laptops

kbandrew24

Estimable
Sep 17, 2014
Would the $150 extra for a SSD and better GPU be better than less RAM and slightly slower CPU? I have heard great reviews about ASUS from friends on online reviews. CPU isn't much slower form what I looked up and RAM is up-gradable. The ASUS doesn't have a spare 2.5'' slot for an SSD and needs to have its HDD replaced and GPU isn't upgradeable. From this.. it just seems the Lenovo is a better buy for just $150 extra.

The main point for me is whether how much better the GTX 860M is compared to the GTX 850M. More RAM doesn't seem to affect game FPS much and I'm doing fine using photoshop, vegas, and other code programs with only 4Gig RAM with an i5 CPU. Will having 4Gig more RAM (12Gig with ASUS) have any noticeable difference (8Gig with Lenovo)? Or will the extra 4Gig be a waste?

I would stick with the gtx 850m as both gpu's can play skyrim at high settings and the extra power will be a waste. The extra ram may not be worth it as 8 gigs is more than sufficient for photoshop.