Asus ROG G750js for gaming and video editing/streaming

Joshua Gebhardt

Estimable
Jul 4, 2014
Hi guys, will this laptop be enough to start off a youtube gaming channel? I'm planning on building a beast desktop later on, but will these specs work well to get me started off?

I'm looking at :

2.4 Ghz i7 (Turbo boost to 3.4)
16 gb or DDR3 ram
256 gb ssd and 1 tb 7200 rpm hdd
GTX 870m 3 gb

I'm fairly sure it will, but I just want to make 100% sure, also is the turbo boost like a factory overclock or do I have to do it manually? Also, would it be fine for streaming games like LoL on twitch?

P.S. This might sound like a dumb question, but does keeping a laptop plugged in, and the battery in, shorten battery life?

Solution
It will do streaming and recording for youtube just fine - You can even get better performance while playing and recording using Nvidia Shadowplay using that GPU. I own last year's model with a 770M and absolutely love it. Turbo boost is applied automatically when there is demand for more CPU power, you don't have to enable it yourself. The specs are excellent for games like LoL and other popular streamed/recorded games. Just don't expect to play Crysis 3 or Metro: Last Light on super ultra settings and 60 fps.

As for the battery question... There's a lot of disputing opinions on that, but the consensus seems to be yes. However, the ASUS G750 laptops will run *without* the battery as long as it is plugged in, so if you're going to be...

drkatz42

Estimable
Apr 5, 2014

I believe that does diminish battery life. Turbo boost is automatic and will boost performance for a short period of time. Your specs are excellent but I'm not very knowledgeable on the other part of your post.

zeyuanfu

Estimable
Jun 19, 2014

The build is very good for a laptop, but you can get better specs if you build a desktop.

CraigN

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
It will do streaming and recording for youtube just fine - You can even get better performance while playing and recording using Nvidia Shadowplay using that GPU. I own last year's model with a 770M and absolutely love it. Turbo boost is applied automatically when there is demand for more CPU power, you don't have to enable it yourself. The specs are excellent for games like LoL and other popular streamed/recorded games. Just don't expect to play Crysis 3 or Metro: Last Light on super ultra settings and 60 fps.

As for the battery question... There's a lot of disputing opinions on that, but the consensus seems to be yes. However, the ASUS G750 laptops will run *without* the battery as long as it is plugged in, so if you're going to be at your desk all the time, just take the battery out and leave it plugged into the wall and you'll be fine.

http://www.wired.com/2013/09/laptop-battery/

Solution