ASUS ROG GL552VW CPU and GPU upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

ankushbhowmikf12

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017
i have a ROG GL552 VW CN430T which is relatively new. Its got a 960M and for me its good enough for gaming. But in a few years time it will be outdated. I am not a pro in computers but is there any way to upgrade the CPU and GPU in the future to give it extra juice? I have come across eGPUs but I dont know whether my laptop will support it. Please tell me if it supports eGPU. If not, please tell me if you know of any way to upgrade it for gaming purposes .

Solution
As far as I can tell, you are out of luck there.
The CPU and GPU and fixed to the main board and not upgrade-able on this system.
It also lacks Thunderbolt on the USB C-Type port so an eGPU might also not be possible.

Petrossa

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
As far as I can tell, you are out of luck there.
The CPU and GPU and fixed to the main board and not upgrade-able on this system.
It also lacks Thunderbolt on the USB C-Type port so an eGPU might also not be possible.

Solution

Jair_1

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
Actually, an eGPU is possible, but not through conventional means.
You can use the mini-pci express port that the wireless card is attached to as a port for an external pci-E compatible GPU.
You can then use a USB wifi antenna to replace the lack of wifi, since its port is gonna be occupied.

It might take some tinkering with the laptop external casing though, since I don't really where is the location of the port.
But I intend to do this in the future, as I also have this laptop with this awful GPU :/ The rest of the hardware is pretty neat tho.
You can find various youtube how to tutorials about it.

lifeblack

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010

This link has a list of all ASUS ROG models and their CPU / GPU upgradeability, including experimental methods, with examples (if successful)
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?90037-Can-I-upgrade-the-CPU-or-GPU-in-my-ROG-Notebook-***-List-of-supported-models-***

Status
Not open for further replies.