Solved! Asus ROG GL552VW won't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 7, 2019
Hey All,

My Asus ROG GL552VW won't turn on suddenly today. I have had issues in the past with the power button, but with just some patience it would work. A day ago the power button stopped responding hence I removed the button and cleaned it with just plain air. When I put the button back on and tried to start it, I hear a weird clicking sound (from the hard disk due to boot failure) and the laptop just shuts down without displaying anything. All the lights are working fine and when the adapter is plugged in the battery is charging fine.

I have tried all the various hacks on google where I reset it by removing the battery and various combination of the adapter and battery and the power button.

I have also tried to boot the laptop by removing the HDD as the OS is installed on my SSD. It just eliminated the click sound but the result was same, the laptop turned on for a second or two, did not display anything and just shut down.

I have had the laptop for 3 years now and I have not upgraded any hardware in the recent times. The battery and adapter are both original.

It would be great if you guys could help me out here and let me know if the motherboard is fried or is it something easy to repair. I don't aim at spending any more into the laptop as it is old considering the daily use.

Thank you

Last edited:
Solution
Then it likely has either a power problem (not staying on due to button issue, as in it doesn't quite 'click' so to speak) or you have a motherboard problem.

Either way would require work done on it. So now the choice is up to you if you want to spend the time (if done yourself) and money to get it repaired.

I would price it out, call a few places and see what it would be to have it looked at and repaired. They should be able to give you pretty good estimates on what it would be for any of those issues/replacements. Then you can better understand if it is worth it or not.
Let me make sure I understood correctly, it won't power on at all or you get lights but then nothing else?

If you get lights for a moment and then they go out as well, it is likely the motherboard is your problem. If the button wasn't working at all you wouldn't even get the lights. Unless it only turns them on as you press it and then they go out when you let go. That could be a button problem.

Now if you press power and get the lights, they stay on, but no display, that could be something totally different. Display problem, display cable, or even the GPU. Unless you are using the integrated graphics, which would bring you back to the motherboard.

No matter which, it will likely cost a bit to fix.

Reactions: preetamsinghvi
Nov 7, 2019
Let me make sure I understood correctly, it won't power on at all or you get lights but then nothing else?

If you get lights for a moment and then they go out as well, it is likely the motherboard is your problem. If the button wasn't working at all you wouldn't even get the lights. Unless it only turns them on as you press it and then they go out when you let go. That could be a button problem.

Now if you press power and get the lights, they stay on, but no display, that could be something totally different. Display problem, display cable, or even the GPU. Unless you are using the integrated graphics, which would bring you back to the motherboard.

No matter which, it will likely cost a bit to fix.

Hi,

Thank you getting back so early.

I forgot to mention this but the power button doesn't work independently. This means that to turn on the laptop I have to also hold another button at the same time. This issue only presented today.
Yes the laptop switches on for a second or two with the lights turning on after I have released all the buttons and then it shuts down.

Then it likely has either a power problem (not staying on due to button issue, as in it doesn't quite 'click' so to speak) or you have a motherboard problem.

Either way would require work done on it. So now the choice is up to you if you want to spend the time (if done yourself) and money to get it repaired.

I would price it out, call a few places and see what it would be to have it looked at and repaired. They should be able to give you pretty good estimates on what it would be for any of those issues/replacements. Then you can better understand if it is worth it or not.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.