ASUS Says Wintel PC Era Is Over

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
[citation][nom]jsc[/nom]This means that Asus is going to close down their division that makes PC motherboards, right?[/citation]
Well, he meant it to be the trend and not something the company will do immediately. In a theoretical world, even if they stopped making Intel mohterboards, there is a company called AMD. You may google it. [sarcasm]

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
The PC is still going strong, now the BS has not picked up so much.

They appear on some "news" BS will.... BS blah blah blah, but at the end I still prefer PC over BS.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I don't get it why are people who use their computers only at home are buying laptops. Like these kids who play Crysis on $2000 gaming laptops that they never took out of the hose. Can someone explain the logic of this?

campb292

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
If that Windows 8 garbage is anything like the actual interface... that is the beginning of the end. You can't flop 2 out of 3 OS over 7 years. MS better be making something like Windows 7 but with a recompiled kernel, new file system, more native drivers (we still don't even have a native USB 3.0 driver). Oh, and can they make it so my calibrated color profile stays the way I set it? Same for display brightness on my laptop - quit changing plugged in and battery settings for no reason. Tweak and enhance don't jack everything up and turn my desktop into an m$pad.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Exactly what market has Apple created???? Portable, digital music players existed before the ipod. The tablet market existed more than a decade before the ipad....the laptop market existed before the macbook.... So, what exactly what market has Apple ever created???

G

Did that article just say that Microsoft has a "tradition" of bringing "new ideas" to the PC market? lolwut?

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
^^ +1. Apple never created any markets, just brainwashed people into believing they did.

As long as Intel dominates desktop/laptop hi-end processor market (not this useless ARM crap), I really don't care how "unfriendly" they are towards other companies. Business is business. I doubt AMD can't best Sandy Bridge because Intel is being "unfriendly".

Didn't expect Asus to spread such BS, seeing them marketing their ROG products. Asus learning from Apple and Sony? Oh God, the end is near... it should be other way around. What, are Asus laptops now also gonna be priced double their actual cost, like Apple and Sony?

I normally support AMD (though don't use their products), because they're a good competition in the CPU market and are totally kicking ass in the GPU market, but at this point it would be really good to see Intel to buy up every other more or less significant processor manufacturer out there - AMD, ARM, you name it - and shut these idiotic rumors up once and for all. I truly don't believe these statements that "since Intel dominates the market, they are slowing as down, because there's no competition".

And just so you know, "exploiting" any market is only possible if the customers allow it. People may curse Microsoft all they want, but they didn't end up on the top for nothing.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]I don't get it why are people who use their computers only at home are buying laptops. Like these kids who play Crysis on $2000 gaming laptops that they never took out of the hose. Can someone explain the logic of this?[/citation]
I know this may sound like a stupid answer but I think it comes down to people THINKING that if something is smaller it's better. It seems like when people think of desktops they think of old, slow, and virus-ridden. You see with all of Apple's products that they make them look as unobtrusive and thin as possible- the exact opposite of desktops. I think people also like the minimized cords and the ability to put it on their laps (when they're not gaming). Part of it's beyond me too, I can't always understand people either.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Totally puzzled also by folks choosing a laptop solely for home use. Considering you get so much more for the money when you buy a decent PC tower, not to mention that it will last more than twice as long and usually have plenty of room for modest upgrades to keep it current for many years to come.

I agree the age of the PC is not anywhere near dead.

I think the darn marketing folks are the ones leading ignorant consumers by the nose to only considering a laptop.

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]I don't get it why are people who use their computers only at home are buying laptops. Like these kids who play Crysis on $2000 gaming laptops that they never took out of the hose. Can someone explain the logic of this?[/citation]
bcos the number of the computer noob on the planet are way too much than the number of computer pro , the noob thought that laptop is better than a desktop when they are still a noob , when the noob become a pro (after toying with the laptop that can't play the game so well for sometimes , especially the laptop with intel IGP crap) then they will start to look for a gaming desktop for the next buy .

billj214

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Asus may need new management soon if this is the type of commentary that comes out of the company!
Sounds like they have been taking cues from "other companies" on how to run business, just complain and the government will slap Intel and Microsoft with fines for doing nothing but smart business.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]I know this may sound like a stupid answer but I think it comes down to people THINKING that if something is smaller it's better.[/citation]

Well I can understand not wanting a huge tower in your study or bedroom or wherever (I'm currently putting together a MiniITX i5 gaming machine). What I don't get is how they can think a small screen is just as good as a big screen. They don't get excited about watching movies on 21" TVs or mobile phones with 2" screens, why is then there a market for an 11" gaming laptop like Alienware M11?

That's why I'll never succeed in business, I can't get my head around the stupidity of the average consumer.

G

As great as it is in most industries to have healthy competition, I'm not too sure that's what I would want for the OS industry. The good thing about one OS dominating the market is that everybody creates their software for that OS. If you have 5 OSes with 20% market share each, you're likely only going to be able to use a limited amount of the software you would like to use. Of course this could be resolved by enforcing some universal protocols in software development and execution, but in all likelihood, the OS manufacturers would fight to use their exclusive ability to run a specific piece of software as a competitive advantage.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]jsc[/nom]This means that Asus is going to close down their division that makes PC motherboards, right?[/citation]

No. Read the article please.

Asus says the era where the only viable option was an Intel/Windows PC is over. Tablets and smartphones are becoming secondary computers rather than just communication devices. ARM is moving up in the world and will power a significant number of PC's in the nearby future.

Of course Asus will cater to the Wintel platform for as long as it exists. They just want to do more and damn right they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS