Asus Transformer Pad Infinity Will Arrive in July

Status
Not open for further replies.

rramsey718

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I wonder if they fixed the WIFI connectivity issue with that brushed aluminum case? That TF201 had loads of problems with that. Very reduced distance from the router.

skaz

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]DDR3 RAM? About time. Should help with battery life.[/citation]

Unfortunately it seems battery life is worse then all the previous released versions of the prime. Uses more power due to the higher rez screen and cpu. Shame too cause battery life is on the top of my list when searching for a tablet.

[citation][nom]rramsey718[/nom]I wonder if they fixed the WIFI connectivity issue with that brushed aluminum case? That TF201 had loads of problems with that. Very reduced distance from the router.[/citation]

Wifi has been improved according to the detailed review on anandtech.

neodude007

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Why 1 gig o RAM? My phone now has 2 and you would think with a tablet people would have more apps running in the background. Android kills apps when its low on RAM and they have to reload (causing a laggy delay) when you click on them again thinking they are still running. Not only that but the developers need to be decent enough to program the app to open back up and give the user the appearance that it was never closed by the system.
For the record I have the original transformer and it is not hard to tell when an app gets killed and needs to relaunch quick. And yes, people have more crap running on tablets than on phones, that is kinda the point of the tablet.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]rramsey718[/nom]I wonder if they fixed the WIFI connectivity issue with that brushed aluminum case? That TF201 had loads of problems with that. Very reduced distance from the router.[/citation]

There's a plastic strip on top of the back side of the device that's there to alleviate the problem with the antenna.

Although I have to say I never liked the design of the Transformer Prime, looks like a bottom of a stainless steel pan. I actually like plastic better.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
One of my bosses has the previous version of this, and it looks like a sweet little machine... if only it wasn't ARM, and could run my x86 applications. I mean, with the dock the thing gets 14+ hours of battery life, that is plenty of battery power to put in a real CPU. Either way, it looks like they addressed my boss' 2 complaints about wifi, and resolution, so I am sure he will be jumping all over this thing.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Looks like a cool machine, unfortunately some of the reviews where not terribly impressive. I don't think it is Asus's fault at this point though. They have some good hardware on that machine. Android seems to be a dog when it comes to resource utilization. The reviews are still saying there is some studdering which is insane on a quad core with more than enough memory. Has to be a coding issue at this point. I have to agree with allot of other people. Bring on Windows 8, it is probably going to severely eat into Androids share much more so than Apples.

bentonsl_2010

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Looks like a cool machine, unfortunately some of the reviews where not terribly impressive. I don't think it is Asus's fault at this point though. They have some good hardware on that machine. Android seems to be a dog when it comes to resource utilization. The reviews are still saying there is some studdering which is insane on a quad core with more than enough memory. Has to be a coding issue at this point. I have to agree with allot of other people. Bring on Windows 8, it is probably going to severely eat into Androids share much more so than Apples.[/citation]

Have you played with Windows 8? Have you even read the review's of windows 8. Its gutter trash. It will probably flop even more so than Windows vista. Oh and good luck getting ppl to but a tablet for 1000+ dollars.

Microsoft is always trying to force ppl to use there OS they way they think is best and time and time again ppl have shown MS to stick it up there arse. Once again MS is trying the same Vista BS with Windows 8 and again MS will be coming out with another (OS Windows 9?) Superfast to fix all the problem with Windows 8.

I don't see MS doing any better with windows 8 than they are doing with Windows 7 phone. People are tried of windows the only reason there are on top is because everything is made for it.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
So, $750 to have a machine that is an ultrabook / tablet combination, I still think the Surface hardware looks better and the OS will make any additional cost worthwhilke, but if it launches at this price, $750, it should sell like hot cakes.

thezooloomaster

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]So, $750 to have a machine that is an ultrabook / tablet combination, I still think the Surface hardware looks better and the OS will make any additional cost worthwhilke, but if it launches at this price, $750, it should sell like hot cakes.[/citati$on]

$650 you mean. I don't know who in their right mind would buy the 64GB version when you can just as easily buy a micro SD card with 32/64 GB for much cheaper.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Bentonsl_2010[/nom]Have you played with Windows 8? Have you even read the review's of windows 8. Its gutter trash. It will probably flop even more so than Windows vista. Oh and good luck getting ppl to but a tablet for 1000+ dollars. Microsoft is always trying to force ppl to use there OS they way they think is best and time and time again ppl have shown MS to stick it up there arse. Once again MS is trying the same Vista BS with Windows 8 and again MS will be coming out with another (OS Windows 9?) Superfast to fix all the problem with Windows 8. I don't see MS doing any better with windows 8 than they are doing with Windows 7 phone. People are tried of windows the only reason there are on top is because everything is made for it.[/citation]

I am running the retail preview on my main machine now and it is fine. Windows 8 is a in allot of ways a departure from the old windows. It is extremely snappy as well. Metro takes some getting use to but will be right at home with Tablets. I do not think it is gutter trash at all. Does it still need some polish and some work. Absolutely but even in beta it is smoother than Android.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]TheZoolooMaster[/nom][citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]So, $750 to have a machine that is an ultrabook / tablet combination, I still think the Surface hardware looks better and the OS will make any additional cost worthwhilke, but if it launches at this price, $750, it should sell like hot cakes.[/citati$on]$650 you mean. I don't know who in their right mind would buy the 64GB version when you can just as easily buy a micro SD card with 32/64 GB for much cheaper.[/citation]
The MicroSD slot is not very good on my TF201. It is easy to lose the card after inserting it. If it is the same here, the extra internal storage (which will be faster too) is a plus.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]Bentonsl_2010[/nom]Have you played with Windows 8? Have you even read the review's of windows 8. Its gutter trash. It will probably flop even more so than Windows vista. Oh and good luck getting ppl to but a tablet for 1000+ dollars. Microsoft is always trying to force ppl to use there OS they way they think is best and time and time again ppl have shown MS to stick it up there arse. Once again MS is trying the same Vista BS with Windows 8 and again MS will be coming out with another (OS Windows 9?) Superfast to fix all the problem with Windows 8. I don't see MS doing any better with windows 8 than they are doing with Windows 7 phone. People are tried of windows the only reason there are on top is because everything is made for it.[/citation]

Instead of drinking all the other troll's cool-aid try installing windows 8 on a touchscreen device and using it yourself. This is the best operating system Microsoft has released since XP because it will usher in an age of touch enabled computers, over touch enabled toys/phones. If you fail to see that, then feel free to format the drive and stick XP back on it.

FYI The Acer W510 has an MSRP of 25000 Indian Rupees, or $499 USD, so yes, well under $1000.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]TheZoolooMaster[/nom]$650 you mean. I don't know who in their right mind would buy the 64GB version when you can just as easily buy a micro SD card with 32/64 GB for much cheaper.[/citation]
Maybe because the Surface Pro version starts at 64Gb and goes up to 128Gb, I agree that buying the lowest SSD version of each tablet would be a good idea though as SD cards are much cheaper, but still my personal opinion is that a 64Gb Surface Pro with USB3.0, Full HD screen, keyboard and Windows 8 Pro that allows me to use all my back catalogue of existing software - not to mention with no included 3G meaning I would tether to my smartphone so I don't have to invest in an expensive and totally unwanted second data contract - I think if they were to match at $750 it would be worth it.
Feel free to think what you want on if it is a bridge too far or not, and don't get me wrong if Microsoft do decide to pitch it at $650 I will be the last person to complain with the $100 I would save, but $750 for a fully working Ultrabook that can convert into a tablet, I think that is pretty damn good

Status
Not open for further replies.