Solved! Asus vs MacBook Pro

countdown621

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
Hello,

I'm looking for a portable machine that is powerful enough for video editing and Flash animation. I'm hoping for one of the new Intel i7 processors. I've heard Asus has good builds - but then Mac is...well, Mac (Final Cut, woohoo!). What graphic card/RAM combo should I be looking for, and would anyone recommend a particular Asus machine? And do ya'll like your new i7 cores?

Budget: ~$1800
Usage: video editing, 2D animation
Color preference: the color of fast.

Hello and welcome to the forums
If you are going to use Final cut,then your only choice is MBP and within your budget,you can get the MBP 15" with the basic configuration(2.4Ghz i5 CPU).
As for windows alternatives,you can get notebooks like ASUS G53JW in the same price range, but it has worse build/display quality and significantly lower battery life too.

countdown621

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010

I'm not concerned about battery life (this will be a workstation type computer; I just move a lot and don't want to pack up a desktop), but how do the i5/i7 compare? Is the speed of an i7 with a good graphics card and lots fo memory a big enough jump from an i5 MBP?

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010

The answer to your question is, YES!

i7 + Better Graphics Card > i5 MBP

christiangordon

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010

Great choice! Now you will get to decide whether you want a 15 or a 17 inch screen. If you are stationed at home most of the time and not traveling daily I would get a 17.