Asus X501a Won't See SSD as Bootable Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

db2k9

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
I've looked through some threads and I see that some people are having the same exact issue as me but no one has really provided any good feedback or suggestions, or maybe I haven't found any :lol:

What I've looked at so far:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/85212-35-upgrading-help-asus-x501a

But here is the situation

■I know how to get the BIOS to boot from a USB drive
■I've updated the memory to 8GB (single stick, it's upgradeable even though ASUS states that it isn't)
■I got a Sandisk SDSSDX-240G-G25

When I put the USB drive that I have in the port the BIOS sees it and makes it an option to Boot from, but then I install the SSD it doesn't show up in the Bootable devices section, but if I go to the SATA Configuration section under Advanced the SSD shows up in there. This happens for any other HDD that I put into the laptop even non-SSD 2.5'' drives (I'll double check when I get home if my other HDDs have the same issue). Why I find this weird is because I see only videos of people upgrading the HDD but I'm not sure how it'w working for them, I'll be sure to post a comment on their videos and see what I get for a response.

Now doe anyone have any idea of how to get around this or any particular suggestions??? :pfff: :pfff: :pfff:

Solution
Ok so I figured it out guys, it was kind of silly but here we go.

So this system is sort of a hybrid legacy and EUFI system, and there a few steps I needed to take to get it to recognize devices that aren't the original HDD

First I had to the Security Options of the BIOS and disable "Secure Boot"
After that go to the Boot section of the BIOS and
- Disable Fastboot
- Enabled CSM (Compatibility Support Module)
- This will allow the BIOS to see other bootable drives (For some reason it keep on being disable when I would restart, so that's why I couldn't see my SSD)

Once those options were set and saved I was able to boot, validated that I was able to change the boot priority, saved again and used the Ubuntu LiveUSB and...

db2k9

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

Hey COLGeek

I'm going to have to try that.
But why would the laptop still boot with the original HDD and Windows 8? What I'm saying is that everything works normally with the 8GB of RAM, but when I switch the HDD out the BIOS doesn't recognize any of the new ones, but I'll try your suggestion when I get home today.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I agree that it shouldn't matter (8GB vice 4GB), but the specs do clearly state a 4GB limit. I have seen odd things like this prevent hardware from working. You can always put the 8GB back afterward if the install is successful to see if it makes a difference.

Simple thing to check out. Good luck!

db2k9

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

Hey noidea_77

The SSD does work, I've tested it out on my other machines. The issue might be the fact that I installed Ubuntu 12.10 on it, I've heard that there is an issue with EUFI booting and Linux in general. I just did a straight install of Ubuntu on the SSD without any special steps. I'll need to read up on that and see what i can do, but in the mean time I'll try and install windows 7 onto it and see what I get.

I'll keep you posted, thanks ;)

db2k9

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Ok so I figured it out guys, it was kind of silly but here we go.

So this system is sort of a hybrid legacy and EUFI system, and there a few steps I needed to take to get it to recognize devices that aren't the original HDD

First I had to the Security Options of the BIOS and disable "Secure Boot"
After that go to the Boot section of the BIOS and
- Disable Fastboot
- Enabled CSM (Compatibility Support Module)
- This will allow the BIOS to see other bootable drives (For some reason it keep on being disable when I would restart, so that's why I couldn't see my SSD)

Once those options were set and saved I was able to boot, validated that I was able to change the boot priority, saved again and used the Ubuntu LiveUSB and installed Ubuntu x64 bit

Made sure to reboot several times and the system has loaded successfully each time :)

Solution

db2k9

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

Hey no problem :D

Too many times I've seen people just close out a topic by saying "OH I FIGURE IT OUT" and no explanation :fou: :fou: :pt1cable:

But I'm happy to point out the steps I had to take :hello:

Joel Harrison

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014

Thank you very much. I had boot issues and then all the sudden was stuck in this bios loop. The problem may be related to boot issues or corruption in the disk. I recommend running a check to anyone who has this issue and follow the dialog for repairing sectors. The things you turned off to get the disk to start are pretty good things to have on. Try a disk check, repair, then turn them back to default and hope they work.

Rachid Erroubai

Estimable
Feb 26, 2015
Just logged to thank you a year after :)
This just saved my life. and allowed me to boot my system after restoring bios settings to default.

My issue was with the mouse pointer, I rebooted my Pc (Asus N56V, 1TB, 8Gb, Intel Corei7 2630QM, 2.4 Ghz), In Bios I restored Bios default.

After this the system keeps going into the bios without detecting my HDD or any USB I put.
After doing steps on your comment, I could boot My Windows8

Thanks again sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.