ASUS X550LB Nvidia GT740M Code 43/Black Screen

Keloyer

Estimable
Jul 28, 2015
Hello! So first of all I've seen that a lot of people get this problem with this Notebook. I'm running windows 8.1. So, I got a BSOD after opening Photoshop, the error was something with driver fatal error (Similar to this). This wasn't the first time it happened so I booted into safe mode, uninstalled Nvidia GPU via DDU, then booted up normal mode, installed latest drivers, but experience still let me install the drivers AND there wasn't Nvidia Control Panel so I restarted my pc, and then after windows logo just black screen. After that I booted up safe mode again, DISABLED the Nvidia GPU, then booted up normal mode and enabled the GPU, which showed Code 43... Then I googled everything, tried all kinds of drivers, but nothing worked. I even system restored to the day it worked. Please help!

Solution
I have the same laptop and had the same problem for weeks, drove me crazy!

Here is what I did:

-Uninstall everything with DDU in safe mode (including the intel driver, just in case)
-Install the latest Intel driver and reboot
-Install Nvidia 350.12 notebook driver, seems to be the only one that worked for me http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/83821/en-us (I'm running Windows 10, it might not work for you)
-Afterwards I was able to update my drivers to 358.50 to play Battlefront without any trouble (but the latest drivers wont work). Just install the drivers with the Nvidia setup file, don't do a clean install, it works fine for me.

I hope it will solve your problem!
Hi,

Please do try these steps that may help in solving the issue.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall NVIDIA graphics.
- Open Program and Features then uninstall anything related to NVIDIA graphics.
- Download and install the latest driver there is.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/download/index.aspx.
- Reboot the laptop once installed, then after the restart make sure to set Adobe Photoshop to run using NVIDIA processor in NVIDIA Control Panel.
- If all these will not work the last resort would be to do a complete factory reset.

Keloyer

Estimable
Jul 28, 2015

Ok, thanks, I'll try that. But like, what's the reason for the Photoshop and BSOD, then drivers messing up? (Btw the BSOD was Video fatal error)

EDIT: And should I uninstall device software when uninstalling NVIDIA graphics?

740M = laptop. Video drivers for laptops are only supported by the laptop vendor. If you got the drivers from nVidia, uninstall those and install the ones from the laptop vendor. It may be that the video card is going bad also if you continue to get issues. Trying different RAM may help, the card would uses system RAM also.

Keloyer

Estimable
Jul 28, 2015

I've tried that already, from ASUS and from DriverScape. When I installed it and rebooted, the Windows do boot up. But when I tried to open the control panel it said that my display wasn't connected to NVIDIA GPU or something like that. I also tried installing the newer drivers after installing the old ones, but to no luck.

It may be a hardware issue with the video card if the proper drivers continue to give you issues. If you want to rule out any software issues, use a spare hard drive, install a clean setup of Widows on that, install the drivers from the laptop vendor (start with chipset, BIOS update then do video, audio etc...), run Windows updates, then test it again.

core2xt

Estimable
Dec 10, 2015
I have the same laptop and had the same problem for weeks, drove me crazy!

Here is what I did:

-Uninstall everything with DDU in safe mode (including the intel driver, just in case)
-Install the latest Intel driver and reboot
-Install Nvidia 350.12 notebook driver, seems to be the only one that worked for me http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/83821/en-us (I'm running Windows 10, it might not work for you)
-Afterwards I was able to update my drivers to 358.50 to play Battlefront without any trouble (but the latest drivers wont work). Just install the drivers with the Nvidia setup file, don't do a clean install, it works fine for me.

I hope it will solve your problem!

Solution