ASUS Xonar DX PCI-E and Latency issue .

remaz

Estimable
May 20, 2014
Does anyone know about the latency issue on ASUS Xonar DX sound card?
I am talking about almost one second latency on direct monitoring from Microphone to outpout.
I have the same problem with my X-FI Xtreme audio by Creative, and i was about to go on this card.
Then a review came up with that same problem mentioned.
Do you know anything about it, or even if its fixible?

What application are you using this for? I'm assuming games but you might still have the same problem with movies.

This is a common problem with all manufactures of sound cards and sound chips. The problem is mostly a S/PDIF problem(and also somewhat an encoding problem with Dolby). With analog outputs on the Sound Blaster Z/X-FI or the Asus, you won't have a problem. Of if sound cards had a HDMI output that would solve the latency issues. I've posted this many times about the problems of S/PDIF so do a quick search on it's limitations.

TO help us, plz link all devices, PC, Headset(speakers), computer, receiver(if using one) and what applications you are using this for. It makes it easier in the long run to help you.

PS: I have a Sound Blaster Z card I use for an older computer and works great.

be seeing you, the Prisoner...

remaz

Estimable
May 20, 2014
thee_prisoner
I buyed this card for listening music and watching movies. Also to record some vocals when i felt like it.
The thing is, without using any application, just pluging the mic and headphones from the analog inputs/exports i get latency up to almost half a second.
Lets say i put a track on you tube, adoebe audition, cool edit...whatever , and i want to sing along. I cant. The latency is so hi that puts me out of sync.
The card is pci-e as mentioned, and i have enough ram. The only week spot to the link is the processor Intel celeron 2Mhz.
Still i believe its a sound card issue.
Perhaps its built that way to be unsuitable for the slightest recording aiming the customers to other Creative models with recording abilities.

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
http://www.erikmoberg.net/article/soundcard_-_asus_xonar_dx

looks like the lag is there and a hardware or driver issue.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=21&model=Xonar+D2X&id=20090329215418143&page=1&SLanguage=en-us < there's another link with some help for the problem. Problem with asus cards is most of the processing is done in software rather than hardware, in fact most models have the same hardware just different drivers to unlock different features, one of the biggest reasons i chose to go with soundblaster Z rather than an asus card.

remaz

Estimable
May 20, 2014
iam2thecrowe
do you think the same "solution" can be applied witn my Creative x-fi Xtreme audio?
Sorry for asking instead of testing my shelf right now but i just woke up with a terrible hungover and it seems all greek to me (though i am Greek so thats a contradiction) for the moment.

However, thanks for your time.
Stelios