Asus Xonar Essence with Sol Republics

cnn019

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
I was thinking about getting the xonar essence sound card. I was curious if my Sol Republics HD Tracks are able to utilize what the card has to offer or if it wouldn't make a difference. I know they are not really some high quality headphones but they aren't really what you would depict as terrible quality headphones. Any ways, would there be any noticeable difference in quality that would make it worth it? Or should I not even bother unless purchasing headphones on top of of the sound card?

Solution
You would find that the higher quality headphones and/or speaker and amp quality are going to make the biggest difference rather than the sound card. I found my soundblaster Z was a huge leap from onboard sound for headphones, mostly due to the headphone amp and good EQ it has, but made no huge difference to my logitech speakers. So if your going to be using good headphones, i say yes spring for a decent sound card with a headphone amp. But get the headphones you want first and see if you are happy with the sound.

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
You would find that the higher quality headphones and/or speaker and amp quality are going to make the biggest difference rather than the sound card. I found my soundblaster Z was a huge leap from onboard sound for headphones, mostly due to the headphone amp and good EQ it has, but made no huge difference to my logitech speakers. So if your going to be using good headphones, i say yes spring for a decent sound card with a headphone amp. But get the headphones you want first and see if you are happy with the sound.

Solution