AT&T Hurts iPhone 3G's Image

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

What, you thought that the new upgraded and improved version of the iPhone would seriously be $200 dollars cheaper (in other words subsidized because you know that the device cost more than that to make) and would be treated differently then any other subsidized phone? At&t is going back to business as usual with this version of the iPhone, with the exception of allowing for an early upgraded discount price no questions asked for signing a new two year agreement, which is not allowed with any other phone except in extenuating circumstances (and that is across all U.S. carriers). At&t is also subsidizing this phone more than any other phone they have ever carried ($400 is nothing to scoff at by any means). This is the main reason for the price hike in the data and messaging plans that you have seen over the previous iPhone, and to be fair the only reason that the data plan was less on the old iPhone was because at&t was not subsidizing it as they did traditionally on other smart phones that they charged $30 on for unlimited web and no text included. Although the cost of running in 3G is also a factor, to be more accurate 3G networks cost less to run per kb/min because they are more spectrally efficient (they can handle more info in the same amount of air space), they just happen to get a lot more usage on the data side due to the faster access and greater willingness to adopt for that purpose.

And lets look at the messaging. This is pretty straight forward, the family messaging covers the family, it is not listed as iPhone family messaging just family messaging. Do you really need at&t to hold your hand and illustrate every detail in pictures to understand what they have laid out perfectly clearly in writing? Hmmm.

Finally, in regards to the complicated qualifications for the upgrade discount eligibly, the qualifications only become complicated if at&t decides to allow you to upgrade early because you are good customer, or make you wait because you are a deadbeat and don?t pay your bill (doesn?t seem that complicated to me). Standard upgrades are allowed at 20 months, which is 4 months before the 2 year contract ends. The customer can loose this right by not paying their bill regularly, (and it has to happen more than once). If the customer is a big spender then at&t will sometimes give consideration to that and allow for an earlier eligibility. (if you spent upwards of $2,000 a year for air wouldn?t you like some kind of consideration for that yourself?).

Nobody is perfect, but Apple and at&t have come out with a world class device combined with the fasted mobile web access available in the U.S. which is tied for the best coverage nationwide (according to Telefia which is an independent testing company. Sprint and T-Mobile don?t even come close). Remember too that these are publicly traded companies and they are legally bound to work in the best interest of the stock holders as well. As far as I can see both companies have done an amazing job of balancing between the task of pleasing the customer as well as their stock holders. There is always room for improvement, but this looks like a step in the right direction.

Tricky79

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Well I am a little disappointed with Apple/ AT&T, but not very surprised. The iPhone was a huge hit when it first came out and AT&T is doing what any company would do which is *MAKE MONEY*. They know that people are salivating like "Pavlov's Dog" and will do almost anything to get their hands on this device. And since AT&T is the only US carrier, they are in the perfect position to make some extra profit. Wouldn't you? I remember when the iPhone first came out for $599 for the original 8g model. People were furious when the price was cut down to $399 and actually put pressure on Apple to send out coupons to these crazed customers. Isn't that the price one should pay for the "I have to get one now" attitude?
I am not a typical Apple fan (cultist). I love their products, but I don't put everything Steve Jobs says on a pedestal. Steve, like any other CEO is a business man first, person second. Steve knows the power of the empire that he has re-built and is positive that nothing will get in his way to being victorious come July 11, 2008. As for the iPhone and it's plan pricing...if you want one bad enough, you are just going to have to suck it up and pay for it. As for me, I will keep my old Blackberry and wait to see if history repeats itself bringing the prices down once again. Besides...with gas at $4.55 a gallon, who needs 3G service anyway?

pipbriceno

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
All you babies crying about AT&T SHUT UP!!! We here in Mexico just got the pricing plans for the iphone that is finally coming here, through the almighty telcel(google it) the biggest plan is 899 pesos which is like 80us that gets us 400min, 200sms, and a whopping 200mb,and 2 years mandatory plus the cost of the equipment. in 2 years thats 2400 usd + add extra data overage which is very likely because its an iphone and overage is in kb. hows that for a raping of the consumer.

G

Oh look, yet another example of Steve Jobs believing he is the second coming and AT&T playing the part of the ruthless cutthroat bleeding the consumer dry. Honestly, Apple and it's products are nothing special. Sure they're pretty and popular with the hipsters (and those wishing to be) but technically speaking they're no better than the competition and sometimes even sub-par. Mr. Jobs, if you're serious about the Iphone 3G becoming a success, then exercise some control over your product because if you let AT&T ruin (what are essentially Apple's) customers' experience, they're going to project that blame and resentment on your company as well.

ctfixer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Forget the iphone and AT&T contract gouging. I bought the Samsung Instinct and Sprint gives me unlimited text messaging,internet,TV,radio and e-mail. I get 450 min/unlimited nights and weekends all for $69.00 a month. Its a great phone but no 3G. Let AT&T taste the compition - they will come around or they will not be around. I love Capitalism!!!

G

I for one have no interest in this iPhone or the previous one. It strikes me as amusing that there is such vehement complaining, yet they sold a million of them in the first weekend. Someone (actually a million someones) must be will to pay these silly prices.

G

I don't understand the plan price differences and who is elegible for upgrade and what not. I mean the Iphone is a phone just like every other phone that AT&T carries, except its an Apple product. What gives AT&T the right to treat it like something other than just another phone? It makes calls, you can do SMS messaging, you can browse the internet and check email just like say the Tilt or Blackberry, or any other smart phone. Why treat it like it does it has special SMS messaging or, like it checks the internet faster or has better coverage than any other phone in the AT&T line which it does not. I won't be buying an Iphone thats for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.