AT2020 VS AT2035 XLR VS Rode Podcaster

ChriffeR

Estimable
Sep 6, 2014
Yo guys! I currently have an AT2020USB+ microphone, Blue Yeti, and I enjoy the AT but dislike the Blue Yeti, so I decided okay I'll keep the USB... But when I add up some things on Amazon, I'm looking at the same price I paid for this USB at guitarcenter, as if I were to get AT2020 XLR/ Scarlett Focusrite Solo.

So obviously that's the better choice having controls at your hands, and a clearer sounding overall microphone. Now with the AT2035 only being $50 more, that comes with a shockmount xlr cables, and a pop filter, to me I personally like to get the most out of my money. So my question is for pure performance which one is better? I know the AT2035 is more sensitive, but I like the roll-off option as well as the -10db option it has.

Either or will be going into a Focusrite Solo, I podcast talk in teamspeak with friends, as well as stream on Twitch. Most of the bigger streamers I see use the AT2035 and it creates this beautiful tone to everybodies voice just about. Also doing research I came across a Rode Podcaster USB, for $229. I'm pretty sure both AT's are better due to being XLR, but just wanted to ask if the Rode Podcaster would compete? Anyhow if NOT, out of the at2020 vs at2035 is it worth the extra money?

I almost feel as if it is just due to the fact of a Shockmount,popfilter and xlr cables!

the difference between using the 2020usb and 2020xlr is that the usb records at 16bit/44.1khz and with the xlr interface (solo) up to 24bit 96khz. now, will you notice a real difference? debatable as its said human hearing can not tell the difference. it matters more on the backend and with post production work. read this http://www.keyboardmag.com/how-to/1255/should-you-record-at-96khz/48364

will xlr and interface make a difference? you get some more options at your fingertips, an analog knob, ability to mix sources (if you get a 2i2 or multiple input model) and perhaps some better quality components. honestly whether its a big step up depends on your setup and equipment.

2020 vs 2035? the 2035 is more sensitive and has a bit more pickup on bass tones so has a pleasant sound but the two are comparable in quality. which you like the sound of depends on your own preferences.

as far as rode? great company. the podcaster or nt usb are good usb models although they also make similar models in xlr. what i like about the rode mics are the nice bass tones. again, if you prefer the sound its preference. both at and rode make great mics.

ChriffeR

Estimable
Sep 6, 2014
Okay. If the At2020 and at2035 are same as far as voice clarity it's an easy decision to get the At2020 being only $80.

I just feel I'm cheating myself not getting xlr if it's the same price as a USB microphone. Is it possible for the rode podcaster to sound better than a At2020 xlr setup?

again, while in terms of quality they are all good there are of course some differences and in terms of what they sound like they are a bit different as well.

what type of "sound" you prefer depends on you and is best answered by you listening to some youtube videos with mic tests. also it depends on your voice and how you want it to appear in video.

for example 2020 vs 2035 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjNUm6Pze1g the 2035 is a bit warmer and picks up a bit more detail. it is the better microphone if you have a quiet recording area.

ChriffeR

Estimable
Sep 6, 2014
Since the AT2035 requires only 11V of power, would using the Behringer 302USB Work since it provides 15v? I don't really wanna spend the extra money the Scarlett Focusrite, even though it's amazing.. What's your opinion? I have heard that the Behinrgers give white noise ,or hiss rather... My Scarlett didnt do any of that with my at2020 i returned.