ATH-M50x + ModMic 4.0 or ATH-AG1

FreeWayPineapple

Estimable
Mar 3, 2015
I need something to replace my current headset and I cant decide between the ath-m50x and a modmic 4.0 or the ath-ag1 headset. They are both the same price and i am not sure what the pros and cons of each of them would be. For example, which one has better sound quality. Thanks.

Solution
the ag1 is based on the a700x while the adg1 is based on the ad700x. the adg1 would be the better choice generally since the open back ad700x has a wider soundstage and is overall slightly better (despite the two having the same drivers... open vs closed is basically the only difference).

check prices for the ad700x + modmic vs the adg1 as well.

the ad-series from audiotechnica have very large soundstages, good positional audio and nice detail. one thing they absolutely do not have is bass extension. many people will claim they are utterly bass-less which is not completely true as they have fairly punchy but not very deep mid-bass but no low level sub bass extension.

the hd518/hd558/h598 series is worth looking at from sennheiser...
the ag1 is based on the a700x while the adg1 is based on the ad700x. the adg1 would be the better choice generally since the open back ad700x has a wider soundstage and is overall slightly better (despite the two having the same drivers... open vs closed is basically the only difference).

check prices for the ad700x + modmic vs the adg1 as well.

the ad-series from audiotechnica have very large soundstages, good positional audio and nice detail. one thing they absolutely do not have is bass extension. many people will claim they are utterly bass-less which is not completely true as they have fairly punchy but not very deep mid-bass but no low level sub bass extension.

the hd518/hd558/h598 series is worth looking at from sennheiser. they share the same drivers so sound about the same. the differences are build quality and better pads (the hd518 or hd558 are the best deals). they are a bit more neutral with a bit more bass - not strong but not very weak like the ad-series. less of a soundstage than the ad-series but still large enough for gaming. the game one is based on the hd598 for your reference.

the game zero is loosely based on the pc363d which in turn was based on the hd555/595. they are going to be fairly bass-light as well. not bad if you like that kind of sound or only care about advantage in fps games over how entrancing audio can sound but the game one or hd-series is often a better pick for most non-competitive gamers.

the m50x i would not consider a good gaming headphone given its incredibly small soundstage (everything will sound very up front and in your face with little sense of distance. positional (360 locating) is fine though). i personally own the m50 and while i do like it (its nice and bassy while still keeping good treble and is easy to drive) i'm not going to put it on a pedestal and instead i'll list both its faults and merits. if you like the m50x the dt770 is a much better choice (but needs an amplifier). not trying to say its a bad set of cans (as i said i like mine) but its not really ideal for gaming (better for music)

Solution