ATH-M50x or Sennheiser Momentum in-ear?

M477h3w

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
I currently have to options, considering that I live in South Africa:

I can buy the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x for R2000

Or I can get the Sennheiser Momentum in-ear for R1000 (half)

This is interesting, because it gets very hot here, and I am very sensitive when it comes to comfortable headphones, and so I don't want to wear over ear headphones if it means it will be uncomfortable in +-30c (some feedback here would be great). I will be using the headphones at school (as well of at home), and so the m50s are kinda portable, but the momentum is way better in that regard, smaller and will probably be infinitely more comfortable during hot weather.

The main issue is: SOUND - Is it worth paying double for the m50x?

Thanks so much in advance for any feedback at all.

Solution
the m50 will get HOT even in mild climates so if you're worried about the heat i wouldnt go for them. i personally own an m50 and while for the price sound quality is good, bass is good, treble is decent, but soundstaging is bad. i like them but after a few hours of wearing them even in mildly air conditioned rooms my ears get hot so i need to remove them. they are built like tanks and will stand up to a bunch of abuse though and do fold up for transport.

while in ears (specifically they are canalphones type in ears) are certainly more comfortable in the heat those have their own problems. the first is that while the canalphone design is more comfortable than earbuds and not as deep sitting as iems they tend to slip out during heavy...
the m50 will get HOT even in mild climates so if you're worried about the heat i wouldnt go for them. i personally own an m50 and while for the price sound quality is good, bass is good, treble is decent, but soundstaging is bad. i like them but after a few hours of wearing them even in mildly air conditioned rooms my ears get hot so i need to remove them. they are built like tanks and will stand up to a bunch of abuse though and do fold up for transport.

while in ears (specifically they are canalphones type in ears) are certainly more comfortable in the heat those have their own problems. the first is that while the canalphone design is more comfortable than earbuds and not as deep sitting as iems they tend to slip out during heavy exercise or motion especially when sweating alot. you also need to clean them a bit often as due to being in ear they can sometimes get a bit ugly depending on how clean your ears are. for reference i owned a pair of canalphones (not the ones you are looking at, i had some sony model) and despite cleaning my ears twice a day i still managed to have earwax on the canalphones. easily cleaned of course but still a bit nasty. they worked out great for in the gym (typical headphones wouldnt work and earbuds get uncomfortable due to being hard plastic) but fell out multiple times per visit.

a direct comparision is hard given there arent many people who have tried both at once although i would suggest reading
http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-momentum-in-ear
http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-ath-m50-studio-monitor-headphones
and seeing what you think about what people have said about them. as i said, i personally like my m50 but i realize what its capable of, what its not and what products are better.

Solution

M477h3w

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
Wow thanks so much, that was a really quick response. I think I'll discard the M50s, because I've only really heard reviews from MKBHD and such who live in cold environments, and so can't comment on the comfort during warm conditions, and I value comfort over sound quality - so thanks a ton on that front. I'll probably go with the Momentum then, as I don't mind cleaning them out everyday if it means I get decent sound and comfort. I won't be exercising with them either, and although I do game, I'm not really interested in all this "virtual surround sound" stuff, and I've heard the Momentum has a pretty nice soundstage so I'm not really worried there. The audio quality may be a downgrade, but I don't think i'll be getting the M50s after your comment on the heat, and the fact that I'm only really comfortable with the Koss PortaPros. I hoped the M50s wouldn't be too bad, but I'm not willing to take an expensive risk. Thanks again, I'll add this as the solution.

another thing go keep in mind..

most "closed' over ear designs are going to be hot because air cannot flow. leather or pleather pad versions are going to be even hotter than velour type pads. this is why the m50 can be hot because it uses pleather pads, is small sized and closed.

open designs tend to be cooler to wear given they let air in and out but many lack bass impact however do have good soundstaging.

on ear designs let a bit more air flow around so are easier to wear than over ears in hot climates. this is why your porta pro arent too bad as they are both on-ear and open.

earbuds allow the greatest amount of airflow to your ears so are the coolest to wear.