ATI HD 5800 & Blu-ray 3D? Is it really possible?

prejto

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015
I have a home theater computer with the HD 5800 video card with HDMI connection to a Panasonic Viera 3D. I have attempted to play (using Cyberlink DVD13) a Blu-ray 3D iso without success. It plays, just not in 3D Subsequently I read that I needed an HD 6800 series card to obtain 3D Blu-ray playback. (http://www.technic3d.com/download/treiber/ati-catalyst/461-catalyst-10.10.htm)

As I was reading up on possible replacement cards I found this thread at Tom's Hardware indicating that my card ought to be able to play back in 3D:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6450-caicos-blu-ray-3d,2920-11.html

Now, what I don't understand is what is meant by the following:

"Unfortunately, these cards rely on host processing to decode the MVC codec, though."

What is host processing and is it something I can turn on, or is it a function in the monitor? I'd sure love not to need to replace the card! If I do need to replace the card can anyone recommend a replacement that is quiet?

Thanks!

Peter

prejto

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015

Thanks For the reply! Given that I am not having success should I assume that it is my processor (i5 760@2.8 Ghz)? Or could it be that I need to activate something in the card's driver? (there are quite a few things under 3D gaming that I don't understand). Reading your post do you think I should update the quicksink chip. I'm not familiar with how to do that. Is it just part of a general mother board update?

When I enable 3D playback in Cyberlink it states that my card only supports 3D in full screen mode and then changes screen to 1080p @ 24 hz. I see a color shift but no 3D. I ran Cyberlink 3D Advisor. Everything "passed." It does show that I have HDMI 1.4.

Thanks!
Peter

Valentin Vasilev

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
I was able to play 3D blue ray before reinstall using Total Media, but not after reinstall. I managed to fix the problem by installing legacy 13.12 official drivers