Audio and pc gaming: Can a good headphone have 7.1 virtual "surround" sound?

Koalacola

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2013
For a week i have looked it to the world of gaming headphones and headsets with microphone. I wanted to have a modular pair with changeable jack cables and microphone, but the combined products were either lacking in mic or audio quality or were not modular. So now im thinking to get a good pair of headsets like Superlux HD681 EVO and a modmic, for gaming purpose, but i also want to have the 7.1 virtual surround. What im not sure of that, can you have that with a usb amp and any headset or not?

Stanislaw

Estimable
Nov 6, 2015
I had superlux Evo fo some time and they were ok, but last year I get myself a pair of Superlux HD-330 and oh boy they are a diferent level. They cost similar money but are a lot beter. Two words of cousion thou first of all they are 150 Ohm so you need an headphone amp (I have FiiO E10K)or deacent onboard sound card with build-in amp. Second thing make youreself a faver and change pads from day 1 if you will bay those HD330 - stock pads are horrible. As for 7.1 virtual sound... YUO DON'T NEED ONE it will only distort sound. Look for virtual barbarshop on YT and listem to it using simple stereo headphones. Hawever if you really think that you can't live whitout virtual 7.1 you can use Razor Serround software its free and works with any headphones. Sory for my bad english.

Koalacola

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2013

7.1 would be purely optional and only for games, to have (or try to have) a simulated directional sound. Of course for music I'd not use the 7.1 option as it is a bad choice. What I don't know is that do all headphones enable the virtual 7.1 or are there only specific ones. Thanks for the tip on the hd330's i'll look it up. And your english is ok. I could understand so no problems.

Stanislaw

Estimable
Nov 6, 2015

Here is that YT video I was talking about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA
It is design to demonstrate that you don't need any virtual 7.1 if audio is recorded in proper stereo.
Here you have that free virtual 7.1 software. I use it for a while to get access to equalizer as my FiiO usb DAC/AMP doesn't have any.
http://www.razerzone.com/surround

With my HD-330 I use Beyerdynamic velor pads. Comfort is phenomenal, bass was a bit reduced but those cans have plenty of low end anyway. To bum up highs I removed sponge disc that was on top of driver.

Koalacola

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2013

I know about the video i checked it a few times. BUT as i said earlier the 7.1 virtual sound would be purely Optional, what means i wouldn't use it for music and movies but for games only. Like a light switch. 7.1 on/off. it's possible on the hyperx cloud2, and that's why i am asking, cause that headset is not that good for 100€uros, plus the mic is bad, and there are WAY better stereo headphones then those.
That's why i want to know if it's possible on any stereo headphone to get virtual 7.1 that i can swich off if i want to or not?

Elite Chiller

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016

you prob already figured it out> But yes, you can switch the virtual suround on and off. No need to buy a retarded marketed gaming dolby headset. Just get a quality one and use it with razer's software.