Solved! Audio conversion software that uses installed codecs

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Hello everyone.

I'm looking for some audio conversion software that will decode audio using an installed codec.

In my situation, I have a proprietary codec installed to decode jail calls in .wav format. I can listen to the audio in Windows Media Player and Media Player Classic. I would like to be able to convert the proprietary .wav files to .mp3s so I can redact them, but none of the software on my PC will work with the codec (like Audacity or Goldwave or even Winamp).

I have the option to screen capture Media Player Classic and demux the audio track from that, but it takes a long time and I'm looking for something less time consuming. Is there any software that will decode audio based on installed codecs and then let me convert the audio to mp3?

Solution
.wav formats are standard audio formats, it's a basic Windows format for audio files. The "ding" in Windows is a .wav file for example.
Or are you saying that whatever thing you are using modifies the file from a standard .wav format?

Almost any converter should be able to convert a .wav to an mp3, it's like having a chef that can't cook and egg or make pasta, it's just a basic function that anything can do.
.wav formats are standard audio formats, it's a basic Windows format for audio files. The "ding" in Windows is a .wav file for example.
Or are you saying that whatever thing you are using modifies the file from a standard .wav format?

Almost any converter should be able to convert a .wav to an mp3, it's like having a chef that can't cook and egg or make pasta, it's just a basic function that anything can do.

Solution

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Exactly what I thought too. I had no idea why these particular wav files wouldn't open in ANYTHING. Then I discovered that they needed a particular codec. Apparently not all wavs are created equal.

This is where my question stems from. I'm under the impression that VLC, for example, has all of it's codecs baked in. I need audio conversion software that can have it's codecs expanded upon with the need for plugins. It would have to just read the codec from it's Windows installation and work with that. Media Player Classic decodes that way and so does Windows Media Player.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
No good.

The codec installs from a .msi file. I opened it in 7Zip but everything inside was non-sense as far as I could tell. I couldn't identify any DLLs.

I think screen captures will be the best solution whenever I run into these wavs. Thanks for the help though.

Status
Not open for further replies.