Audio static?

doodlesdaturtle

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
I have a keyboard, which I run through the line-in port in the back of my computer. There is static coming from my speakers when I unmute the line-in port, but when I mute the port, the static goes away. I've done some research on it, and it's not a ground loop. Also, the output from my keyboard works fine whenever its plugged into anything else.

It would probably be best to mention that a little while back, I accidentally shorted out my onboard audio. I am now running off of a pci audio card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829186003
Nothing is plugged into the mobo audio ports or front case ports.

It's hard to accurately describe the static I'm hearing-it's like white noise, combined with random beeps.

doodlesdaturtle

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
soundguruman-I was installing a pci usb hub, and forgot to unplug the motherboard. I believe I allowed the pci connectors to touch the motherboard, and I heard a pop. Luckily, it only blew out the onboard sound, and it was a cheap motherboard. But since I'm running my audio off of a pci sound card now, does the onboard sound card even matter? In other words, if I replace the motherboard, would it solve the problem?

mmphoneman-I checked, it's not cell phone interferance