Autodesk: You'll Be Making Movies on iPad Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

LATTEH

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
lol... i honestly don't think so.. most people that are getting paid to make a avatar like movie would be using a decent computer

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Very soon, users will be able to sit with an iPad at home at make a movie like Avatar
Sure... They'll be able to make movies like Avatar, just wait some 100 years before all the scenes are rendered, and the movie is done.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
[citation][nom]LATTEH[/nom]lol... i honestly don't think so.. most people that are getting paid to make a avatar like movie would be using a computer[/citation]

Fixed.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Using the iPad to window into a high end server/render farm that does all the work... don't forget the way cloud computing is supposed to solve all our problems and not require us to have powerful computers anymore. Seems to me they're taking away control from the user. They give us crap devices or appliances and keep all the horsepower to themselves which they tightly control and keep under wraps.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Making Avatar like movies on the iPad? ROFL. It would take my 4 GHz corei and two 3 GHz AMD quads years to render that movie.

Apple devices have always been overstated as far as hardware feats (I still have to tell my cousins that they have the same hardware as Windows computers and don't do anything faster), but now they are apparently magical!

Someone tell me again why you would use an ipad for this? With a low res 10 inch screen you are going to do this kind of work? It cannot be easy to control any Autodesk program on an ipad. How do you see much and select all the tools? I could see using it to quickly view something or touch something up on the go but any serious work someone would use a laptop or desktop.

lukeiamyourfather

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
So does that mean the company is working to bring mobile versions of Maya and 3ds Max for the iOS platform?

They might be brining some modeling tools or image viewers to the iPad, but I doubt it will be anything more than that. An iPad or any other tablet just doesn't have the hardware to run an application like Maya, especially with assets from films like Avatar.

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
"While Bass didn't provide numbers regarding the SketchBook app"Really?
There's an article on toms guide about this... I'll quote it for you.
"half a million people bought the software at the application store"

cashews

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I know it is a different movie but consider the facts in regards to Transformers 2:

If you rendered it on a modern home computer it would take 16,000 years.
The Transformers 2 movie required 145 Terrabytes of data.

So in order to store this movie, you'd need 2265 64g ipads.

Let's be generous and say 3 ipads have the equivilant processing power to 1 home pc. It would take the 2265 ipads 21 years to render the movie.

I am not an expert in the field of making 3d movies, but I am sure the production of avatar took some serious computing equipment. I highly doubt you'll see movies the quality of Avatar produced on an iPad anytime soon. Also, working on such a small screen would be very painfull.

redbluequad

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
LOL making movies like Avatar on IPAD!! That is the dumbest statement I have read this year. To make Avatar required hundreds of people and very powerful computers. Now they are trying to make us believe one guy can do it with an IPAD. Put down the crack pipe please.

What about all the motion sensing equipment used and 3d cameras. The person that wrote this article knows nothing about 3D graphics software and the effort required to generate 3d scenes. And I am shocked that someone from Autodesk would make such a ridiculous statement.

mj4358

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]cashews[/nom]I know it is a different movie but consider the facts in regards to Transformers 2:If you rendered it on a modern home computer it would take 16,000 years.The Transformers 2 movie required 145 Terrabytes of data.So in order to store this movie, you'd need 2265 64g ipads.Let's be generous and say 3 ipads have the equivilant processing power to 1 home pc. It would take the 2265 ipads 21 years to render the movie.I am not an expert in the field of making 3d movies, but I am sure the production of avatar took some serious computing equipment. I highly doubt you'll see movies the quality of Avatar produced on an iPad anytime soon. Also, working on such a small screen would be very painfull.[/citation]
[citation][nom]cashews[/nom]I know it is a different movie but consider the facts in regards to Transformers 2:If you rendered it on a modern home computer it would take 16,000 years.The Transformers 2 movie required 145 Terrabytes of data.So in order to store this movie, you'd need 2265 64g ipads.Let's be generous and say 3 ipads have the equivilant processing power to 1 home pc. It would take the 2265 ipads 21 years to render the movie.I am not an expert in the field of making 3d movies, but I am sure the production of avatar took some serious computing equipment. I highly doubt you'll see movies the quality of Avatar produced on an iPad anytime soon. Also, working on such a small screen would be very painfull.[/citation]

He never said the the movie industry will start tomorrow using iPad to render!

G

Of course nobody is going to render avatar on iPads, but a good app for 3D modeling on iPad plus HQ realtime hardware render, can get you some nice movie making tools accesible to millions of people.

gti88

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Yeah, I agree. Who needs workstations, if you can make a movie on an ipad.
Throw out your 30" monitor, 10" screen will do the job!

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]gti88[/nom]Yeah, I agree. Who needs workstations, if you can make a movie on an ipad.Throw out your 30" monitor, 10" screen will do the job![/citation]
Don't forget, throw out one or two 6 core xeons in favor of a single core arm CPU, or throw out Firepro/Quadro GPUs for a Power VR, throu out 24GB of DDR3 RAM for 1gb of eRAM.

george21546

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Don't forget, throw out one or two 6 core xeons in favor of a single core arm CPU, or throw out Firepro/Quadro GPUs for a Power VR, throu out 24GB of DDR3 RAM for 1gb of eRAM.[/citation]

and get rid of autocat and use the app

Status
Not open for further replies.