Avast! security certificate problems Mac OS X

zuv

Estimable
Oct 29, 2014
(Please do not reply with any anti-Mac or "A Mac can't get a virus"[viruses are not the only threat to a computer >.>] comments, they are not needed or wanted. I have a Windows, Android, and Linux device as well tyvm.)

I just did a fresh install of my OS , Installed Avast! and Firefox after they were downloaded, I opened Firefox, and was getting certificate errors, I turned off Avast!'s web shield and the problem went away.

I did some research and it seems that Avast! is replacing SSL certificates with their own.

So, is there a way to recover all my SSL certificates on Firefox to what they are supposed to be? Would re-installing Firefox do the trick or will Avast! just replace them once again?
Can I use the web shield without having Avast! compromise my computer?
Is Malware bytes anti-exploit better or safer?

Solution
So long as Avast is using their own certificate system, which is pretty stupid consider whatever they are using is not an accepted standard, then there is going to be a problem with it's browser plugin unless FF decides to include verification for the certificates they have implemented. Nothing will change that. If FF looks for specific certificates and doesn't find them it's going to issue a certificate error.
So long as Avast is using their own certificate system, which is pretty stupid consider whatever they are using is not an accepted standard, then there is going to be a problem with it's browser plugin unless FF decides to include verification for the certificates they have implemented. Nothing will change that. If FF looks for specific certificates and doesn't find them it's going to issue a certificate error.

Solution