'Avatar' Viewers Going Into Pandora Withdrawl

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Efrayim

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
This sounds similar to how some people act when WOW servers go down for maintenance or repair....

I thought Avatar was a great movie. The story wasn't original, but its hard to make any original ideas anymore. The CGI was just amazing and I saw it in 3D which was the best.

lowguppy

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
From a sociological/psychological perspective, the high quality CGI and 3D experience make it more difficult for the human mind to distinquish between fantasy and reality. People have had this sort of response to fantasy for about as long as man has told stories. From the bible to Lord of the Rings (Navi are just blue elves really) to Harry Potter and WoW, people have always latched on to fantasy as an escape from reality. A more compelling experience is easier to believe, and harder to parse from reality.

I'd be less concerned about an Avatar MMO, and more concerned about a 3D implementation of WoW, as the hardware industry pushes 3D displays in 2010.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Being a fan of Fantasy worlds like D&D, I much prefered the Lord of the Rings as far as a world to be fanasizing about. Avatar was great, but the illuminated plant life made it too fake for me. In Avatar, they really did the seamless transition between 3D animation and real actors, you don't even notice what's real and what's not. It was brilliantly made.

Can't wait for the release on bluray... will it come with 3d goggles? :)

kalogagatya

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
If you think that most drugs create addiction in a psychic way, not in a physical way (like tobacco), that makes a lot of sense, because the movie submits people to a dream-like reality, and that is comparable to a drugs effect!

d0gr0ck

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]I have one word for these people. Unobtainium.[/citation]

It's the same stuff from that shaitty movie "The Core"!

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Cameron has an opportunity to do like Lucas did and capitalize on the franchise and turn Avatar into the the next Star Wars...... but that would also mean creating one epic trilogy, sell toys for 20 some years and then revive the franchise with 3 more mediocre films and let other people take it into a new creative light

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
In all seriousness this has the potential to create the next StarWars like universe if fostered and exploited correctly. Get a good wiki going, perhaps a "technology of Pandora" book, a few side novels, a sequel based movie or prequel... What i liked most about Avatar was that the Navi were like 10ft tall compared to us humans, this made scale and the 'humanoid alien' much more interesting. oh and the enviroment.. ooo that was some epic scenery.

zmanz

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Does ANYBODY here see any sequence of events going on in this world similar to that of Revelations? Oh wait - I'm just a bible-thumper obssessed with fantasies and fairytales according to one user that's 40 and still in mommy's basement. For you people who need counselling over a damn movie - GET OVER IT. This is why I'll never allow my children into any type of public education system.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
When I watched this movie I was baked on shrooms and weed. I was basically in a space ship and I had frighteningly ferocious hallucinations while watching this. The experience was similar to when I watched Dances With Wolves while being on Acid so I have a slight clue as to where these suicidal people are coming from.

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
Start living like Neytiri: in touch with nature, the environment, and not being greedy and wasteful. Pass on the burger, for something more healthy for you and less cruel to animals.

LOL - just don't go to work dressed like her - pasties are NSFW :D.

However I did enjoy the movie and plan to buy the BD version when released.

juncwil

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
It was a good movie with pretty good story. Though me and my friends end up talking about how its unlikely that aliens would be humanoid, and Na'vi reminded me of North American natives. Anyway it was just one company that was on Pandora, if unobtanium was that important, then Earth would send a proper military force :p

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I can picture it already......it's gonna get as crazy maybe even more crazier than what the Star Wars fans and Trekies are going through right now.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
How can such mediocre unbelievable and unreal CGI cause this? Do more people need better eye doctors? I mean, it is pretty eye candy, and at least most of the movie they are not trying to insult my intelligence with juxtaposing real actors with cartoons (while telling me that it looks realistic, when clearly it is not). But are people so far removed from their own environment that they get a withdrawal from this fake universe? I can only wonder how people would react if TRON were re-released with half-decent actors...

gender offender

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
All value is relative to what you have at your disposal to make comparisons with. The fact that a movie that manages to convey abstract themes throught its duration at all has become a completly forign artifact in our bland, bland culture. I would seriously encourage these people to read some Tolkien if anybody was willing to partake in an active form of escapism these days.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]thegreathuntingdolphin[/nom]If you think this is bad, wait till they make Avatar into a MMORPG![/citation]

PLEASE NO. That's the last thing we need, is people who are addicted to find a way to satisfy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.