Back to Basics: iPod Video Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

veryed

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
I'll have to check out Videora. I'm currently using DvdFab, which isn't free, but has been pretty good to me. I'd recommend it to anyone looking to rip DVDs for play on their ipod or zune.

G

Creative Zen Vision can play those avi files without conversion.

G

Or try the free with no adds Handbrake (http://handbrake.fr/) and select one of the iPod presets. Seems a lot easier and not nearly as annoying...

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
AVI is a container file, not a codec type. Saying something won't play AVI's is like saying the car pool lane won't allow pickups.

About all I watch on my Omnia is episodes of the Simpsons, Family Guy, etc.

I don't see how people can enjoy watching movies on such small screens. I'd rather read a book then watch a small movie on a plane trip.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
I really wouldn't like watching videos on anything smaller than a psp though... and even then, the only reason why I would watch movies on a psp is because you can slow down or speed up the video... 0.5-2.0X speed. It is quite nice when watching action movies or just stunt videos of bmx bikes or xgames or something.

sharpfinger3

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I have found that Windows Media Encoder works very well for converting video files. Also AnyVideoConverter works for .flv files.

wkcar

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
I use videora for all of my iphone/PS3 video conversions; the advanced options are as good as paid software. To use normal mode you have to be connected to the internet so it can show ads in the program, but if you use power mode, the program can run without an internet connection to download ads. So I'd recommend blocking the program through the firewall and then the program will run faster.

Kary

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
I tried Badaboom on a 8600GT/Pentium D 805

I'd rather use Media Coder...free and SO MUCH FASTER (with more options even)

mmc4587

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
MediaCoder does everything... and it is free
It comes with UI Plugins for different devices,
which make transcoding very simple.
It has advanced features like cropping and video filtering (which is particularly good at removing artifacts from analogue tv recordings).

You might be suprised how pleasant watching on a small screen can be. 320x240 may not sound great but the reality is that 240p and 480i are essentially equal.
Granted, you can't fully appreciate UFC action on a 3' screen but its great for watching The Office, or American Idol.
Furthermore, the OLED screen on my Walkman is easily 3-5x better than my laptop display outside in the sunlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.