Basement Placement - LCD or PLASMA?

Okwari

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
I want to know which is better for low light viewing - i.e. a basement. I do have the basement covered with pot lights, but movies will be watched with little or no light.

I like LCD for its price. But I seem to remember someone saying that it is only good for bright lighting (natural) situations; where as Plasma is good for lower lighting.

Is this true? Or does it really matter?

I'm looking at a few 50" - Panasonic, Sony and Hitachi. Outside of reading up on them, I'll just have to sit down in front of a few to see what looks right to me. But I can't exactly plop in my own DVD and fiddle with the controls.

Ultimately, I want to know which type is the best for a basement environment.

Thanks...

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Okwari said:
I want to know which is better for low light viewing - i.e. a basement. I do have the basement covered with pot lights, but movies will be watched with little or no light.

I like LCD for its price. But I seem to remember someone saying that it is only good for bright lighting (natural) situations; where as Plasma is good for lower lighting.

Is this true? Or does it really matter?

I'm looking at a few 50" - Panasonic, Sony and Hitachi. Outside of reading up on them, I'll just have to sit down in front of a few to see what looks right to me. But I can't exactly plop in my own DVD and fiddle with the controls.

Ultimately, I want to know which type is the best for a basement environment.

Thanks...[/quot
LCD's are more expensive.

Okwari

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Well, not really from what I've seen. Yes it seems Plasmas are coming down in price, but so are LCD. Price at this point is not too much of an issue.

My main thing is to know if LCD is getting better with low light situations.

O.

Noya

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
If it's in the basement with little or no light, you have to get a front projector! as that is the only stipulation for a front projector.

The Optoma HD70 is only $999. It's 720p resolution which looks great. Not to mention the 92-106" picture. A good entry level screen runs from $100-300.

http://projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD70.htm

You won't be sorry...I could never go back to a 50" screen.