Bass Management 5.1

germas369

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
I have a 5.1 speaker set, and I've noticed a Bass Management options on the realtek software, I noticed as I turn it on all the speakers work separably ( without the subwoofer ) as before as default all the speakers produced the sound with the low frequencies (subwoofer) so in other words all the speakers did their own job and the subwoofer also produced the low frequencies without the normal speakers (front, back and center) could someone please explain the benefits of this and the negatives and is it a good idea to turn it on? thanks :)

Solution
The benefit is that if the subwoofer is set to high it will reproduce sounds that your ear can localize and you will loose separation. It can also muddy the sound since the sub is not designed for higher frequencies. By removing bass from the satellite speakers that they are not designed to reproduce they play louder and with less distortion.
Turn it on. The instructions for the 5.1 speakers should give you settings that you can use. If not check the makers website or forum. You can experiment but be cautious about the volume you listen to while doing so.

leo2kp

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
It might refer to the frequency that the subwoofer will play. For example, if set at 63hz, anything at or below 63hz will play on the sub. Maybe you need to turn up the subwoofer and play something with heavier bass to notice it?

The benefit is that if the subwoofer is set to high it will reproduce sounds that your ear can localize and you will loose separation. It can also muddy the sound since the sub is not designed for higher frequencies. By removing bass from the satellite speakers that they are not designed to reproduce they play louder and with less distortion.
Turn it on. The instructions for the 5.1 speakers should give you settings that you can use. If not check the makers website or forum. You can experiment but be cautious about the volume you listen to while doing so.

Solution