Battery 0%, not charging. Shuts down during demanding tasks. ROG G751JY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl_39

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
So like 5 months ago my ROG didnt want to charge to 100% anymore. I didnt like it but never used it without the AC, so I didnt think much of it. So I went away for a week so i disconnected the AC - when I came back the battery was dead. It says "0% avaliable (plugged in, charging). Its not really a big deal since I always use it with the AC, but recently when I am gaming the laptop just turns off. I can turn it on right away - so it seems it loses power for half a second or something, which is enough to turn it off.
Seems like my battery serve more of a purpose other than running with no AC. And should provide extra current during high demand usage like heavy gaming, and also carry you through brownouts.
Anybody managed to fix this without opening the f'ing thing and replacing it with a 100 euro battery?

pohemi

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
It's possible that being plugged in and charging for 5 months straight "overcharged" the battery, slowly killing it over time. You may need a new battery. You're better off letting the battery drain ocassionally and then recharging it, than having it always plugged in. Just a thought.

its your battery mate.i have seen this issue with the g751JT and Jy.usually the only fix is to replace the battery.whats your psu wattage?i had the same model and without the battery the cpu and gpu is cripple during gaming and demanding task.i replace the battery and boom it works normally again.

Karl_39

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

Thanks for your reply @kookie3010 .. Youre probably right. I think the wattage is 246? But I dont actually know. Here is a picture http://imgur.com/a/J3rkv

Did you replace the battery yourself? I am living in Brazil and I bought the unit in Norway so I'm pretty helpless

Edit: I just learned how to calculate the wattage. And its 230.

i thinks it 230w.whats ur laptop full specification?yeah i do it myself.lucky for me that a shop help me order the batt.i did do a power drain though before i receive the battery just to make sure that the battery is beyond saving but u still need to open up the laptop and unplug the battery connector.

Karl_39

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

i7 4860HQ /4710HQ Processor
16 gb ram
128 ssd + 1 tb hdd
nvidia 980m 4 gb gpu

Output :
19.5 V DC, 9.23 A, 230 W
Input :
100 -240 V AC, 50/60 Hz universal
3/ 2 pin compact power supply system

-

Thanks, I'll try to go to factory settings and reinstall windows 10. If that doesnt do anythin I'll open it up and test the battery, if its truly dead I guess I'll have to buy a new one. I've never opened a laptop before, so I hope I don't brick it... :/

just open it up until u see the battery connector.once u remove the connector hold the power button for 30sec to drain all excess power.then reassemble the laptop and boot with the psu plugged in.on this unit battery problem is very common.it seems that the system is drawing power from both the psu and battery.

Karl_39

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
I formated and reinstalled windows 10. I could play PUBG on ultra for like 5 games. I thought the problem was fixed. During a squad game with some friends i tried to turn OFF the vertical sync in the options. BOOM, the laptop turned itself off.. I turned the vertical sync back on, and I am in my 3rd game now without any shut downs. lets see...

Karl_39

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

Ok.. So after i reinstalled windows, the problem came back. Battery is still at 0% and shuts down during games and stress tests. So I opened up the whole thing (alot of work for a newbie). Took everything apart and got rid of some dust, then put it back together. (I was unable to drain excessive power since the whole laptop was in 10 pieces when I got to the battery...). Still the same problem - now it even shuts down faster, like if I have alot of tabs and programs open.

Next I guess is to dismantle it again, put it back together without the battery and see if it will help.

sounds like your psu have issue as well.it never shut off on me even when the battery is dead.(while waiting for a new battery to arrive).its just that my cpu and gpu throttle abit.what is suggest on doing is disabling your cpu turbo boost and downclocking the gpu with afterburner.

Karl_39

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

Thanks again, ill try to downclock the GPU now, thats a great tip. Regarding the disabling the cpu boost youre refering to the advanced power options, right? I put the "maximum processor state" at 50%

Karl_39

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
So.. Update number 23435: I tried to downclock the GPU and it seemed to help, made me being able to play Diablo 3 on super low settings for 5-10 minutes, then it turned off again. So i decided to go for the final solution: remove the battery and boot without it. And it seems to work, i was able to play Diablo 3 for an hour without problem. BUT when I tried PUBG i couldnt get more than 20 FPS on very low, where i normally get above 50 FPS.. So it seems my laptop needs the battery to be used at its full potential? :/

Maximum processor state at 99% will already disable turbo boost.get back with results.

Karl_39

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

Thanks, so I believe I've tried everything. With and without the battery, nothing works. I will test if my PSU is failing, if its fine I guess ill just have to buy a new battery. Unforntuanetly they don't seem to sell them where I live in Brazil though.. haha. Thanks alot for being moral support and giving me good tips Kookie :D

Karl_39

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

Lets see: i am just preparing for the worst :D

Status
Not open for further replies.