Battery Light Flashes Red Won't Charge

Sep 26, 2018
A while ago, the battery light started blinking 5 times, (4 times red) and refuses to charge. When I run the diagnostic (holding Fn down on start up) it says "Msg: Battery - unable to retrieve battery health".

I have since replaced this battery twice, with no change.

I have updated the bios.

I have replaced the power supply.

I ran the support assistant which correctly identified my laptop: Dell Inspiron, 17R 5720. Unfortunately, it also could not fix the problem. In fact, it said "We did not find any issues."

I installed all drivers it recommended.

I am at a loss at what else to try here?

Sep 26, 2018
So in the end, the best I could do what replace the motherboard (for $62 on Amazon). Flashing lights went away and it appears to be running good as ever.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Laptop Tech Support 4
B Laptop Tech Support 2
C Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 12
R Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 2
D Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1
K Laptop Tech Support 1
K Laptop Tech Support 2
I Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 5
A Laptop Tech Support 2
S Laptop Tech Support 4
J Laptop Tech Support 1
N Laptop Tech Support 2
A Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 1
Similar threads
Acer laptop battery light flashing red
Battery light flashing
Battery Light Flashing 4x Amber 1x White
Acer aspire r won't turn on. When plugged in the battery light is on but when I try to power it up the blue light just flashes
Alienware 15 R2 not turning on and LED lights flashing on and off?
Aspire V5-572P Battery discharged completely. Computer will not boot up. Amber light flashes 5 times. What's the solution?
toshiba laptop charging light flashing with new battery
My laptop has no battery in it and runs power from the cable. My low battery light will flash on the fron of my laptop and it
My dell laptop have a trouble in starting.while pressing power button the battery light flashing white and orange light.4 time
Orange battery light and power light flashing
Dell Inspiron 3543/3541 won't power on, led light flashing, no beeps
Laptop battery light is orange. I hit the power button. lights flash once and wont power on
Laptop battery light is orange. I hit the power button. lights flash once and wont power on
dell laptop battery light flashing blue
My Sony VAIO Laptop won't switch on the battery light flashes constantly orange
Dell battery light flashing orange
laptop battery light flashing blue
Acer D260. Battery light flashes red.
I have exactly the same problem, except not the battery light isn't even flashing, I've tried the above solution without any r
Bought a new laptop battery in January for Dell studio and now I'm getting red light flashes. It's a battery 9 cell if that h

ASK THE COMMUNITY